Dr SH
Dr SH, Certified physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

My Mom has a victeretomy 7 days ago vitreous hemorrhage

Customer Question

My Mom has a victeretomy 7 days ago for a vitreous hemorrhage and her vision is still very blurry. She can't even watch television or read her mail. She is worried that she ever even let them touch her eye. She said before surgery she her vision was mainly blocked from the blood but she had a few visible places she could peek through with clarity and now she has zero clarity. She has been taking 2 different eye drops 4 times a day; polymyxin and prednisolone. Her eye is still dilated; is all this normal a week later?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr SH replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question.Yes, all this is normal a week later.Usually complete healing would happen in about two to four weeks time.So I believe you should give it more time.If your symptoms persist or worsen then you must be seen for an examination.As of now I think that you need to give it more time as your vision will likely improve in the coming weeks.This session is open for any further questions that you may have. I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end on the top right hand corner as that is the only way we, the experts, are credited on here for helping you out.Kindest regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do those 2 particular eye drops cause the eye to stay dilated? How long will this continue until her pupil begins to respond to light as normal?
Expert:  Dr SH replied 1 year ago.
No, none of these drops should cause the eyes to remain dilated.The dilation of the pupils after the kind of surgery she had is normal and should improve in due course of time.However if it does not improve in the next couple of weeks then she must be seen to be examined.This session is open for any further questions that you may have. I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end on the top right hand corner as that is the only way we, the experts, are credited on here for helping you out.Kindest regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is only disturbing to us because her other eye is about useless and now this eye is so very blurry she is basically left blinded. This is very distressful. The surgeon never told us anything about such a long recovery as though it appears she has a long recovery road left ahead of her. She is very upset and fear she may be stuck this way. I too fear, and think of the what if's. What if her pupil fails to respond to light again and stays permanently dilated. I mean I'm assuming the very large pupil the whole reason for her blurry vision.
Expert:  Dr SH replied 1 year ago.
I understand your frustration.Yes I also agree with you in that the large pupil is the cause of the blurred vision.This usually does improve in due course of time as inflammation settles and healing proceeds.This session is open for any further questions that you may have. I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end on the top right hand corner as that is the only way we, the experts, are credited on here for helping you out.Kindest regards