khagihara, Doctor (non-eye specialty)
Experience:  Trained in multiple medical fields for many years.

My mother who is 83 had a tia in February of this year. She

Customer Question

My mother who is 83 had a tia in February of this year. She is scheduled for cataract surgery in 4 weeks. Is it recommended to wait a specific time after a tia for this surgery? Her only issue has been her short term memory
JA: The Opthamologist will need to help you with this. Is there anything else important you think the Opthamologist should know?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Opthamologist about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Eye
Expert:  khagihara replied 5 months ago.
Cataract surgery is considered a low-risk procedure for bleeding. In general, patients can be continued on their antiplatelet or anticoagulant therapies. The 2012 anticoagulation guidelines from the American College of Chest Physicians (ACCP) recommend that patients who are receiving aspirin and are undergoing cataract removal continue to receive aspirin around the time of the procedure. Patients who discontinued aspirin prior to surgery also had no evidence of increased stroke, TIA, or thromboembolic events compared with those who continued aspirin and had a somewhat lower rate of myocardial ischemia and infarction.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
So 3 months is long enough to wait before having surgery...Is that what you are saying?
She can have a cataract surgery in 4 weeks without waiting.