khagihara
khagihara, Doctor (non-eye specialty)
Experience:  Trained in multiple medical fields for many years.
20084961

My 6 year old daughter who is severely autistic suddenly

Customer Question

My 6 year old daughter who is severely autistic suddenly started displaying episodes of her left eye turning inwards uncontrollably on Monday, with lots of blinking...I took her to the emergency room with zero results and no tests run because her exam seemed normal, no fever, ears clear etc.Tuesday morning she woke up with heavily yellow crusted eyes but zero redness in them. She saw her regular pediatrician and he suggested it could be reflux. I am very concerned as the eye turning in episodes are still occuring randomly throughout the day, to a point that her one on one teacher is very concerned as well. Her appetite is ok, sleep is ok except for waking earlier then usual, she has had more episodes of wetting herself then usual. I am concerned that, from what I have read, it could be a strep bacterial infection in her eyes causing the uncontrolled movement of it rolling inward and the squinting and fluttering of the eye lids. I have also read about PANDAS. I have asked for a referral to a pediatric opthamologist, for a CT scan and mri...my question is what should I insist on for tests to be run immediately....what could this be?
Category: Eye
Expert:  khagihara replied 7 months ago.
Strabismus is a common condition among children. About 4 percent of all children in the United States have strabismus. It can also occur later in life. It may run in families; however, many people with strabismus have no relatives with the problem. Accommodative esotropia is the most common form of esotropia that occurs in children usually 2 years or older. In this type of strabismus, when the child focuses the eyes to see clearly, the eyes turn inward. This crossing may occur when focusing at a distance, up close or both. Strabismus is especially common among children with disorders that may affect the brain, such as:Cerebral palsy;Down syndrome;Hydrocephalus;Brain tumors;Prematurity.A cataract or eye injury that affects vision can also cause strabismus. The vast majority of children with strabismus, however, have none of these problems. Many do have a family history of strabismus. If she has neurological symptoms such as headaches, paralysis, numbness, weakness, numbness, her doctor will order a CT or MRI to look at the brain.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
She is 6, and what about the yellow crusted discharge in addition to the sudden onset of the eye turning inwards randomly...it's not all the time...it's goes in and out
Yellow crusted discharge could be due to blepharitis. It is inflammation of the eyelid, which might make the eyes not focused easily to see, resulting in the eye turning inward. Since it is not consistent, it doesn't seem to be a problem in the brain. If the blepharitis is cured, the eye turning would go away.