Michael Salama
Michael Salama,
Experience:  Medical director at San Miguel Medical Clinic
93434137

Was just sitting here and vision in left eye went partially

Customer Question

was just sitting here and vision in left eye went partially black
JA: Keeping an eye on your eyes' health is important - for most people vision is their most valued sense. Our Expert will help you with which sort of vision doctor you should visit. Please give me a bit more information, so the Opthamologist can help you best.
Customer: then it faded and my vision is back and fine after about 2 minutes
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Opthamologist should know?
Customer: no, no other problems
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Opthamologist about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Eye
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am 42 years old, no other health problems. ON blood pressure med for borderline HTN. Do get migraines from time to time, but usually have flashing zig zag line then lose peripheral vision, then get headache. This is new, was feeling fine then vision just went out partially, like I had just looked in to the sun. Came back/faded away after approx 2-3 minutes
Expert:  Michael Salama replied 6 months ago.
Hello, this is Dr. Salama,Does it feel like a curtain came down on your left eye?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
yes it just appeared out of nowhere...blood pressure is elevated right now as well but unsure if its because I am now worried about this or what. It covered the middle of my left eye,,then faded upwards until it was gone.
How high is your BP right now?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
193/99
That is extremely high. Is it normally that high?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
i just had caffeine, but otherwise i am just working...i am feeling fine
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
usually i run 140s/80s or 90s
I am anxious right now as well
With your blood pressure that high and some indication of end-organ damage (visual symptoms) this would be considered a hypertensive emergency which needs to be evaluated and controlled in the ER.Let me know if you have any other questions. If not, please don't forget to leave a positive rating as that's the only way I get credit for answering your question. Thank you.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
but i feel fine otherwise, do I really need to go to the ER?
Yes, I would. For 2 reasons, to control your BP and to make sure that your heart is not also being affected by the elevated BP just as your eyes are.
How are you feeling today?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok, went to ER and all tests were ok...EKG, CT scan, Bloodwork, CXR, ...all were fine. Going to cardiologist today at 3pm
Ok, I'm glad you went. Best of luck.