Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor
Experience:  20 Years in Internal Medicine, Neurology and Sports Medicine

I blew out a candle a few hours ago and felt something fly

Customer Question

I blew out a candle a few hours ago and felt something fly in to my eye...but I thought nothing of it...a few hours later, I kept feeling like something was in my eye, and looked and I see the clear wax... It does not burn or hurt, just feels like something is in there. I can see it, and when y daughter tried to move it, it just bounced around but she was not able to pull it off.
I bought some eye wash and some lubricating tears.
Not sure what to do? It's on the side ,not on my pupil, and when it's in the back I can barely feel it, but when it moves , there are times that I feel it.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 5 months ago.
If this is a small piece of candle wax, it should slowly dissolve in your tears (over several hours). Most birthday candles are made of paraffin or beeswax, both of which have a fairly high melting point over 120 degrees. So while they won't melt, they should dissolve. The important thing is that the cornea does not get scratched. This is typically painful and can scar down. Otherwise, if your vision is clear you should rinse the eye every couple hours or use the lubricating drops and see your doctor or go to express care if the foreign body sensation persists or your vision becomes affected.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 5 months ago.
Hi there. How is your eye today? Is it feeling better? Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.God bless.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Completely gone! Thank you !
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 5 months ago.
Glad to hear. If you have no follow up questions, please don't forget to provide a positive rating.Stay well!