Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
24257177

I have water eyes, cough and persistent sour throat

Customer Question

I have water eyes, cough and persistent sour throat for the past four days. Nothing seems to touch it. Ringing in my ears. Went to Minute Clinic and they said it was a virus. I have taken Sudafed, Thera Flu, Throat Logenzes, Tylonal and other cold and flu remedies to no avail. Any suggestions? Also plenty of bed rest. Thanks, Ken
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 7 months ago.
HelloIf it has not been tested for strep, then that must be done.Antibiotics are needed.A virus has to run its course.If these symptoms are not improving at all, you need to be tested for mono, which can cause this as well.Allergic components should be considered. OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily
Just to add: I would not use sudafed.In fact, the combination of sudafed and theraflu should not be used.For the cough, a simple expectorant/suppressant is safe: destromethorphan/guaifenasen. This is generic and effective.Ask your doctor about the other testing.Please click a positive here at the top of the answer page, or see my premium services offer. OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily