Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.

Past two weeks I been getting dizzy spells at first

Customer Question

For the past two weeks I been getting dizzy spells at first they only happened ever so often now it is everyday. My doctor send a referral to an eye, ear and throat and neurologist. what can be causing my chronic vertigo please help
Category: Eye
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hello for a few months I been experiencing vertigo didn't think much of it bc it would only last 2 seconds. Now for the past two weeks it's been chronic and lasts for minutesI finally went to my doctor she said it could be problems with my ears and send me an referral to an eye, throat and ear and neurologist.Can you tell me what it can be and what I can do in the mean while to deal with it.And it's not hypoglycemia since I snack every 3 hours and keep hydrated and my blood pressure and heart rate has been checked to rule out hypotension (110/60)Help!! This feeling is uneasy
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 5 months ago.
Hello from JustAnswer. There are several possible cause of vertigo. The most common causes of vertigo that has persisted for a few months would be from crystals that form in the inner ear, called benign paroxysmal positional vertigo, or BPPV. Inflammation of the inner ear is also very common, called labyrinthitis, particularly for vertigo of short duration. There are many other less common causes of vertigo, including orher conditions within the ear, such as Meniere's disease, neurologic conditions, such as from migraines or growths/inflammation affecting the nerve that services the inner ear. The referral is appropriate, because the specialist will be able to perform tests to clarify the specific cause of the vertigo. Until you can be seen, there are some over the counter medicines that may be able to help, such as meclizine or dimenhydrinate. These medicines are primarily marketed for motion sickness, but can also help with vertigo from other conditions. If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Now she said it could also be stress/ anxiety. I know anxiety can manifest to several signs and symptoms.Can this be possible?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
You mention growth as a brain tumor
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I don't suffer from any headaches and to be honest I am 37 years old and probably have only had 3 headaches in my entire life time.Nor do I have pain anywhere around my head
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hello where did you go
Anxiety can cause virtually any subjective symptom, so yes, it can also cause vertigo. However, there is no test to be able to show when anxiety causes such symptoms, so the usual approach is to first check for other causes of the symptoms, and only if other causes are excluded, it can be said to be due to anxiety. Yes, a growth in the brain is one of the possible causes. It is only in a very small percentage of cases in which it is found that vertigo is due to a brain tumor, but it is possible. If there are no other neurologic conditions or headaches, then a brain tumor is less likely, but it does not exclude the diagnosis. Since an ear condition is far more common, the evaluation will focus first on the evaluation of the ear, but if the ear tests normal, then a neurologic evaluation would be done.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Okay I hope the medicine works because I am currently doing my rotations at the hospital and I am afraid to tell my professor because I think she might ask me to withdraw until I fix this problem and the semester is over in 3 weeks don't want to do that.How may pills should I take a day 2 maybe one in morning and evening? Please advise I just need to get through my clinical rotation with no problems
The usual dose of one pill four times per day, as needed for relief of vertigo.
I do not see that you received and reviewed my last answer. Please let me know if I can provide any additional information.