Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

Had allergy due to spring pollen! Sticky drainage down back

Customer Question

Had allergy due to spring pollen! Sticky drainage down back of my throat. About 3 weeks went by until I had had enough with the sticky glue feeling in my throat and constantly swallowing. Went to Primary care provider, no chest congestion, clear mucous. She said allergies can two courses. Extreme runny nose, itchy eye's, sneezing. Or the problem I'm having with inflammation. She put me on Flonase. Two weeks in the drainage became green. Dr. called in 875 mg.s of Amoxicillan. Had to stop using Flonase because it was burning the lining of my nose. I finished the Amoxicillian but I'm still having the sticky drainage. I also have the weirdest cough. When I talk I get this dry cough that makes me strain like all my air is going out. It's a wheezy sound. I'm worried because the Dr. told me to spray the Flonase and cover the nostril and suck in hard. I'm wondering if I sucked too hard and something went into my bronchial tubes. I also got choke while eating scrambled eggs. I used some Mrs. Dash and something really irritated my throat. I had to spit out what I was chewing to keep from choking. I have expressed concerns about trouble swallowing in the past. Dr. put me on Omeprazole. It helped with heart burn but I'm still having problems with food getting caught at the back of my throat. Just at the back of my tongue where where you can't see. I'm wondering more now since my dad worked in asbestos for 32 years. He had it on his clothes when he came from work and everyone in the house was exposed. He died from esophageal cancer, lymphoma, and bone cancer. He was never tested for Mesothelioma. My Dr. said I should trust him and not worry. Just take the Omeprazole.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 8 months ago.
Hi and thanks for the query.This does sound like the acid reflux is complicating things. Constant trickling of acid up the esophagus causes recurrent throat inflammation, pharyngitis and lower respiratory tract infections. Taking Omeprazole decreases the production of acid but does not stop the acid from trickling up and causing irritation. The green colored mucus and the thick phlegm are pathognomic features of acid reflux.I would suggest the following:Sleep with a head up tilt of about 30-45 degrees at night. Use a wedge pillow for this purpose.Refrain from eating barbecued, smoked, salted and spicy foods especially at night.Avoid alcohol, smoking.Avoid hot beverages and fizzy drinks especially at night.Do not eat to a full stomach at one point in time, eat more frequently in smaller portions if required.A walk for about 15 to 20 minutes before bed time.Start using an OTC ant acid before dinner.Ask your PCP for a referral to a Gastroenterologist for a thorough evaluation and possibly an Upper GI endoscopy to rule out any mucosal changes due to the constant acid reflux and to see if there is any lump in the throat.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 8 months ago.
Please do remember to leave a positive rating for the service by clicking on the stars on top of the screen, as that is the only way I am compensated for my time and effort.Regards.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for your help. But I already adhere to a strict diet to avoid acid because of my over active bladder. I have followed this diet since 2005.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The computer is about to shut down at the library. I won't be able to check any messages until Monday afternoon.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 8 months ago.
Alright, you should seek an appointment with the Gastroenterologist to rule out if there is any lump in the throat.Steam inhalations with menthol thrice a day will help with the sputum.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 8 months ago.
Please do not forget to leave a positive rating for the service by clicking on the stars on top of the screen.Wish you good health.