Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Medical Doctor Trained at a Top Academic Institution
55099014

When my eyelids sweat, they swell up, get very itchy, hurt,

Customer Question

When my eyelids sweat, they swell up, get very itchy, hurt, almost any lotion burns like fire. Usually takes at least several days to go down. Sun exposure seems to make it worse. My skin gets almost no tan, very sensitive to sun also. Any hope?
JA: The Opthamologist will need to help you with this. Is there anything else important you think the Opthamologist should know?
Customer: I think that's it
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Opthamologist about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Eye
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Almost forgot: I tried cortisol and over the counter allergy medications, they don't help. Cortisol cream burns a lot, too. A dermatologist recommended petroleum jelly, so the skin would be separated from the sweat. It provided relief initially but did not fix the issue. Now the petroleum jelly doesn't really work anymore either.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Basic allergy test (blood test) did not show significant sensitivity to anything. Issue persists throughout the year (hot and cold weather, hot summer is worst).
Expert:  Dr SH replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for your question.You are almost certainly having allergy and the heat and sweat triggers it.I would recommend that you should be on a regular antihistamine like loratadine (which should come in various brand names in Germany and is over-the-counter) at a dose of 10 mg once daily.Hopefully this should help but you would need to continue taking it i.e. one tablet daily.This session is open for any number of further questions that you may have.Please rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end as that is the only way I am credited on here for helping you out.Kindest regards
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks for the answer. However, I already took over the counter allergy medications (I believe it was Allegra) and they did not help it at all. Is the loratadine any different from them?
Expert:  Dr SH replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for your response.Yes it is different.Also I would recommend that you should start antihistamine eyedrops as well such as zyrtec eye drops which may help with your symptoms more quickly and efficiently.If your symptoms persist you may need to be seen as you may then require a prescription strength eye drops and medications.This session is open for any number of further questions that you may have.Please rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end as that is the only way I am credited on here for helping you out.Kindest regards
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Just to be clear, it is the EYELID that swells up and the outside skin of the eyelid hurts, the eye itself is fine. Not sure how eyedrops would help there(?) The skin is extremely sensitive, almost anything I try to apply hurts (except for basic petroleum jelly type products), so I am worried that eyedrops will also bother it.
Expert:  Dr SH replied 7 months ago.
Oh okay. If it is only the eyelids on the outside then the eyedrops will not help sorry.For the outside skin you can try applying over-the-counter 1% hydrocortisone two to three times a day for a week to see if that would help.This is a low potency steroid that helps with allergic reactions like what you are having.This session is open for any number of further questions that you may have.Please rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end on the top right hand corner, as that is the only way I am credited on here for helping you out.Kindest regards
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Sorry for the slow response. I tried the cortisol creams already. They hurt the skin a lot, but don't make a difference. I only get temporary relief from petroleum jelly type creams, but it does not last. When the cream is gone and skin touches skin again, the eyelid will swell up again when I sweat. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated, because this keeps me from working out. During the summer, the sun makes it worse because of sunburn, so I am afraid to go outside, let alone work out outside.
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 7 months ago.
Can I help?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Dr Phil - if you have any new ideas?
do you take any other meds for any reasons?