Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor
Experience:  Physician at Stanley L Simpson, DO
93248684

Wondering what good reasons exist to remove plantar

Customer Question

Wondering what good reasons exist to remove plantar warts. My son started out with one several months back and now there are five. His mother refuses to allow me to have them removed, stating they will go away on their own. My experience is that they are highly contagious, and for a 7 year old touching them could spread to eyes, mouth, genitals, or just about anywhere else. Also trying to consider him spreading to friends or anyone who uses same shower facilities. In my experience, cryotherapy seems knock them out in one to two treatments. Now I know this isn't a emergency medical necessity, but I can't seem to present the right information that will compel his mother to allow me to take him in for treatment. Any opinion on this?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 7 months ago.
Hi this is Dr Stan and I will assist you today. The use of duct tape to remove warts is effective, as effective as OTC medications and freezes, but usually takes more time (approximately 4 months). The red cracked skin between the toes may be a fungal infection and not related to the warts. There is no way to absolutely prevent the spread either to other areas of the body or to others. If Mom insists on her treatment, ask her to only cover each wart, not the entire sole. Also, get an Athlete's foot cream to handle the toe redness. I empathize with you but there is no evidence to confirm she is doing the wrong thing. I hope this helps you with this problem.
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 7 months ago.
Any other questions? The rating page has been enabled. Please click a positive rating. Thank you