Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc

Do i have to pay answer? JA: You end up paying for

Customer Question

Do i have to pay for the answer?
JA: You end up paying for the answer if you are satisfied with it.
Customer: How will that be determined?
JA: The Opthamologist will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Opthamologist can help you best.
Customer: I have experienced this a couple of times recently, where a wavy, glowing, transparent line appears, almost like a hair, in what seems to be out of a corner more or less, of one eye, and streaked image radiating out along the edge of it. Happened one time from felected glare off polished floor where at first I suffered the symptoms of snow blindness.
JA: Keeping an eye on your eyes' health is important - for most people vision is their most valued sense. Our Expert will help you with which sort of vision doctor you should visit. Is there anything else important you think the Opthamologist should know?
Customer: Around two years ago while camping, I was reading in my tent when my depth of vision went to extreme nearsighted and at first Ithought it was what I now know as floaters, something I've seen many times before but this was way different. I could see a little tranparent ameba pushing a roughly spring shaped tunnel through my corona right in the middle of my eye. I thought it was probably something normal and my own eye doctor dissmissed it as a floater about six months later when I suddely needed reading glasses. Up until then I had great vision and could see both up close and far away. I had been able to read street signs from nearl two blocks away and was able to paint fine details on miniatures without visual aids.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Opthamologist about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 months ago.
Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with premium services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.How old were you when this happened?How old are you now?M/F?Did you wear glasses when this happened? If so do you know your approximate prescription?Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am 47 now
The glowy lines occurred a couple of weeks ago. The ameba happened almost two years ago and I did not need glasses at all. Then a few months later my close up vision became difficult to focus and my distance vision seem reduced. When I finally went to see the eye doctor he dismissed the idea that it was an ameba and ended up telling me to get 1.25 reading glasses. I should also state that now It seems my eyes have more difficulty at sharp focus on anything further than about three feet in front of me it's not really blurry just not crisp.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The glowy line was in my left eye the first down to the right and in my right eye the second time and much longer and more obstructing. Both times they slowly disappeared after five or so minutes. The ameba thing was in my right eye and had left a sort of loop-de-loop pattern across the center of my eye that started from left to right. I wasn't really able to see the pattern much, except in certain light and It hasn't reappeared in I guess about a year.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Oh I also have anxiety. No meds. May have celiac disease, need to get checked. Had a Kidney stone and had to cut way back on drinking because of early signs cirrhosis about 4 or 5 years ago.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Smoke also. Half a pack on average a day.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 months ago.
The ameoba thing you are seeing is called a posterior vitreous detachment/vitreous floater. This is nothing to worry about and is normal.As to your near vision issues this, too, is normal and is called presbyopia. I, personally, suffer from both of these same conditions.....Please allow me to explain:You have a thick gel material in the middle of your eyes called the vitreous. Over time as it liquefies, this gel material collapses on itself, forms little clumps that you can see as dots, lines or bugs. As these clumps form the vitreous pulls away from the wall of the eye. In the process it can stimulate the retina -- causing the flashes that you may see.It is recommended that you see your ophthalmologist to look at the retina to make sure there are no problems such as a retinal hole or tear. In most cases, there are no problems, but this exam is precautionary and allows for preventative treatment of any lesions that are found.If you notice a sudden increase in floaters, flashes of light (like a lightning storm), a shadow/veil in the periphery of your vision, or a decrease in your vision that doesn't improve in a few minutes this can be worrisome for a retinal detachment. You would need to contact your ophthalmologist promptly in that case. What can you do about the floaters? Well, floaters don't go away, and they don't really get worse. Over time they tend to "sink" out of your central vision and you brain "filters" them out so you don't notice them so much anymore. They almost never cause significant visual problems except, of course, if they cause a secondary retinal detachment as discussed above. The only way to decrease or remove the floaters is with a major surgery called a vitrectomy. As a retinal specialist for almost 2 decades I only do this procedure to remove floaters in extreme cases. In January 2013 a new drug, called Ocriplasmin, was approved by the FDA to dissolve vitreous strands in a particular eye condition called vitreomacular traction. Perhaps someday this drug could be used to also remove floaters…. Only time will tell.and here is some information on presbyopia:You have managed to reach that wonderful stage in your life where Presbyopia (the need for reading glasses to see up close) has reared its ugly head :(The good news? Everything is OK with your eyes :-)The glasses are not causing the problem, nor are they making your eyes "dependent", "weak" or otherwise changing/accelerating your need for glasses.It is perfectly normal to be experiencing the problems you are having with near vision at this point in your life.I suggest that you to the dollar store and buy a bunch of +1.25 power reading glasses -- a bucket full will cost about the same as one pair of "prescription" glasses for reading -- and leave them all over the house, in your car etc. Personally, this is what I do :-)As you age you will find that you will want stronger reading glasses. I, like you, started at +1.25 and now find that +2.25 work best for me.Of course, there are always other options available to solve you near vision problems.....You could consult with an Orthopedic Surgeon and have 6 inches added to your arms lol!does this make sense to you?It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me. Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok well the trouble is I know the difference between an ameba and a floater and it was not a floater as I could clearly see this tiny clear cell pushing prodding through the material of my eye leaving a tunnel behind it that got longer as time went by. I did a little research and was wondering if this was not an instance of an acanthamoeba?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 months ago.
acanthamoeba usually infects the cornea and can not be seen crawling etc.From what you have posted, you do not have a parasite in your eye.Why do you believe this to be the case??It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me. Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The reason I am sure it was some sort of parasite is because I could see it. I was reading inside a small tent and for a moment my focus adjusted when I put my book down and at first I thought as you did but when I saw a small clear object moving I did my best to keep my focus relaxed in order to watch it. It would sort of shape one end of itself into a point and sweep a small amount of material away.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 months ago.
As much as you might not like to hear this it sounds to me like you are not actually suffering from parasitic infections -- and this is why your doctors can't find them and none of your treatments are working -- but rather you suffer from a common psychiatric condition where you BELIEVE you have parasites.Here is a very good article from a highly respected source that you might find helpful: condition is very difficult to treat, as you might imagine.I suggest you consult with a medical team well versed in helping patients such as yourself.Does this make sense to you?I realize that this was not the answer you were hoping to hear but it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information.Surely, you prefer that I tell the truth rather than what you wish to hear. Because it reflects very poorly on me unless you press one of the top three feedback choices, keep this in mind when rating my answer and please do not punish me for being honest. I understand that this may not be easy to hear, and I empathize.Even though my answer was not quite what you were hoping for, please understand that my priority was to provide you with the most honest information. With that in consideration, I hope that you found my answer useful. Please click the excellent feedback button so that I can receive credit for my efforts.Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No. It was most certainly not a delusion. I can understand your skeptecism, however, it does not change the fact that I know what I saw. So let's just say for a moment it was a parasite of some kind. If it died, no problem, but if it survived what then?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I only saw the optometrist once and I believe he dismissed it as a floater without checking at all. This is why I would like to have a second opinion.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 months ago.
It sounds like you have spent quite some time trying to get to the bottom of what is going on. I am sure that your previous doctors have thought of, and ruled out, all of the common and easily treatable conditions that could be causing your issues. Would you say this is a correct statement?Well I think it might be time for you to take a very difficult, and bold, step to see if you can get some relief. At this point I think the best thing for you to do would be to gather up copies of all your medical records and travel to a large University Teaching hospital. At an institution like that you could be evaluated and treated by a team of sub-specialists who are at the cutting edge of their respective fields. The best thing about these large teaching hospitals is that consultations are available with Professors and leaders in their field by just walking a few steps down the hall.The Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota is an excellent example of just such a place as this. That being said there are many excellent teaching hospitals all across the country and I am sure that there is one near you.I know that it is going to take significant effort on your part, but I believe that going to one of the "Medical Mecca's" is your best chance to – finally -- get to the bottom of what is going on.Does this make sense to you?I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned the top rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.Thanks in advance,Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Actually this is the only time other than my one visit when I got my reading glasses that I've ever brought it up.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It was the more recent anomalies that made me rethink there could be more going on.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Not able to rate and still waiting for referral.
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 5 months ago.
HelloThis is a different expertWhat question remains for you?