Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice

About three weeks ago I had my first ocular migraine. Went

Customer Question

About three weeks ago I had my first ocular migraine. Went to the hospital and got checked out and everything was okay. Had a bunch of tests ran and all was ok. Diagnosed Ocular Migraine. Since that episode, I have had distorted vision, flashing lights, and feeling like my vision has been not the same. I also have high anxiety about having another ocular migraine as it frightened me. When my anxiety is down my vision is ok. I also went to the eye Doctor last week and was told I have perfect vision and she said its likely from stress. I am of course worried I have a brain tumor or something sinister. I did have a MRI about 3 years ago that was normal. This is giving me anxiety everyday as my vision is obviosuly important to me. It scares me that it can be so distorted at times.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 6 months ago.
Hello!I understand your sense of worry. Consider that if you had any deficit neurologically from an ominous problem of any brain tumor however THEN IT COULD NOT GET BETTER !!A tumor would cause progressive neurological deficit that could not be reversed...An ocular migraine may cause visual symptoms but these are transient in nature --- this is related to vascular spasm that often precedes the headache....The vascular spasm may be followed by exaggerated vascular dilation and the pounding headache ...I hope that this information is helpful Let me know if you have further questions or concernsI will be happy to get back with youIf my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedbackThank you and Best Regards,Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
OK so shpuld I not worry about something wrong with my brain? Shpuld I be concerned with the visual issues at all? Eye doctor told me my vision is perfect
Hello again, Yes as you had the visual symptoms I certainly understand that this would worry you but with an ocular migraine the visual disturbance would clear as long as it clears then you have no reason to worry about problem such as a brain tumor! If a brain tumor had caused visual deficits then the nature of that type problem WOULD NOT ALLOW for improvement going forward in time... The migraine mechanism may cause impaired blood flow with the vascular CONSTRICTION phase >> that is typically followed with a vascular dilation phase that is associated with the throbbing headache..ALSO you had vision checked by an ophthalmologist and told your vision is fine ..So YES it adds up to NO REASON TO WORRY as to your vision or brain tumor !! These have checked out to be not a problem for you! I hope that this is helpful for you!Let me know if you have further questions or concerns.Best Regards!Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
But I'm still having these visual disturbances three weeks later after the intial migraine incident. And theye symptoms are different. They do come and go, and seem to be worse when focusing on them or having anxoety/panic
Hello again,Well if the visual symptoms are due to a migraine type mechanism then you may benefit from a preventive medication for migraines such as options >> Topamax, Inderal , Elavil One of these may be an option to help prevent recurrence of the visual symptoms..You might be in a cycle which includes some trigger for recurrent migraines.. Yes stress and anxiety might also play a role...Your sleep cycle may play a role..You might examine your habits as to your diet and medications ( caffeine?? ) ( wine?) You might benefit to have the anxiety aspect reviewed and treated. Let me know if you have further questions or concerns. Best Regards,Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
So what do you think my next step should be? I have had these eye issues before in the past but only during panic attacks i feel like. I am driving myself crazy thinking something is wrong with me. Anxiety is killing me right now. for anxiety I take prozac 5mg, and ativan as needed. Prozac was working and now its not anymore since the ocular migraine issue.
Follow up with your doctor I recommend to you!I think that right combination would help with migraine prevention and anxiety treatment.Prozac only 5 mg is very low dose ...usual is 20 mg per day ...Topamax may be an option to help...Other treatment options are certainly possible...I hope that this is helpful for you.Let me know if you have further questions or concernsBest regards!Anthony Bray MD