Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I have a complex issue and am hoping to find an

Customer Question

***** *****, I have a complex issue and am hoping to find an MD diagnostician who enjoys solving complex problems.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I am a 39 year old woman recently diagnosed with osteoporosis. No family history, plenty of calcium and vit d supplementation in place for years I'm a combat veteran with 13 deployments, the most recent being 6 to Afghanistan, I have been diagnosed by the VA as having complex PTSD I am currently undergoing fertility treatments and will have an embryo from a donated egg implanted on 30 May I am concerned that the osteoporosis diagnosis indicates a serious HPA or HPO axis problem and could impact my pregnancy outcome I am NOT an MD, but I've been an information researcher as part of my duties throughout my career I need an MD's eye on this
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Doctors generally expect a deposit of about $34 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Eye
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This has nothing to do with ophthalmology, no idea why it's categorized that way. Maybe a reproductive endocrinologist and a psychiatrist and an obstetrician?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with premium services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.What has your fertility expert MD had to say about your concerns?Can you give me your numbers that showed you have osteoporosis?Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had a DXA scan that identified and confirmed osteoporosis. They've gone back through it with multiple radiologists because it is so unusual in my case. I will see the lab results this morning and sit down with me RE this afternoon, but the unconcerned 'It's fine.' phone answers I've gotten from my neurologist and RE so far concern me, because 1) they have very little data yet and 2) nobody has much experience with childbearing women with complex combat PTSD formed over and over through the course of more than a decade, preceded by both a serious head trauma and endurance athleticism since puberty. I can read all the studies is like (which seem fairly dire about this) but I'm not an MD. I don't know if I'm interpreting the results correctly or what the answers moving forward to a healthy baby are. I have limited time for unfettered experimentation with medicines to confirm/rule things out, because on 30 May, I will be pregnant with a Day 5 or 6 embryo.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for that additional information.I can understand your concern. That being said, if all your physicians as well as your OB/GYN fertility specialist -- doctors who know you personally and know you well -- say that you will be fine then I would trust their expertise and believe that you will, and the embryos will, be just that -- fine.Reading studies and talking to The Evil Dr. Google is enough to freak out anyone.So. What should you do?Believe in your physicians.If you don't believe in them you should consider postponing the implantation and seek out another, in person, opinion with an expert (or team of experts) you can trust.....perhaps by going to a large Teaching Hospital and consulting with Professors who are at the top of their field. Medical Professors like this can be found, for example, at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Mn.Does this make sense to you?It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me. Dr. Rick MD FACS