Dr. Longo
Dr. Longo, Optometrist
Experience:  Residency in Ocular Disease, Managed Ocular ER
89512414

My daughter all of a sudden head blurriness in her right eye

Customer Question

My daughter all of a sudden head blurriness in her right eye had the shape of a half moon
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: This is something she never experienced before she had a pair of long distance glasses on and when she took them off this is what happened
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Eye Doctors generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Longo replied 7 months ago.
Hello, I am Dr. Longo.
How old is your daughter?
Is she on any medications (including birth control)?
Any medical conditions?
Does she ever get migraines?
This is only an information request to properly answer your concern.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
My daughter is 52 years old and she has been on low dose birth control pills since she's 21 years old she does get some headaches she's on Prilosec for acid indigestion and she is overweight she's on a diet right now and lost 25 pounds I don't know what other medication she was on if please reply
Any pain on chewing or combing her hair? If so, have her see a Doctor immediately for bloodwork and a dilated fundus exam of her eyes. This is indicative of an inflammatory condition called Giant cell arteritis (or temporal arteritis) and needs to be treated immediately.This can be as a simple as an ophthalmic migraine - where a patient will not get a headache but will have blurry vision and/or a visual phenomena in the eye for 10-20minutes. It's very scary but usually is very benign and just a nuisance! This is likely the case here!However, If a patient has these symptoms and is on estrogen combination pills, we worry about it being a warning sign for stroke. However, Given that she is post-menopausal and likely on low dose mini pills (progesterone only), then there is no estrogen in the pills...and therefore much less risk of a stroke.I would have a dilated eye exam if she hasn't had one recently. Her optic nerves should be evaluated just to ensure they are not swollen - as that can lead to similar symptoms.I hope this does not scare you or confuse you in any way. Without evaluating her optic nerves, those are the potential causes for her symptoms. Any questions - feel free to ask me. =)-Dr. Longo
Is there anything else I can help you with? If not, please accept my answer so this conversation can close. Thank you! =)