Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

I have a stye that has now become very swollen and painful.

Customer Question

I have a stye that has now become very swollen and painful. reddness down to my cheek. should I go to the emergency room. I fear a infection is spreading. i did over the counter meds and warm compress.
JA: The Opthamologist will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Opthamologist can help you best.
Customer: even my jaw line is now hurting where I had a wisdom tooth removed in January
JA: Anything else I can tell the Opthamologist before I connect you two?
Customer: think that's it
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Opthamologist about your situation and connect you two.
Customer: oh it feels tight and itchy
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 8 months ago.
Hello,A stye which has spread does need immediate start of systemic antibiotics to prevent further spread. Small ones usually disappear with warm compresses alone. Since that has not helped it is better to get it examined and take prescription for antibiotics. Whethet to start oral or injectable antibiotics can only be decided after an examination.