Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

2 weeks ago i went into salt bath sensory deprivation tanks.

Customer Question

2 weeks ago i went into salt bath sensory deprivation tanks. They warned us to put vaseline over any cuts or abrasions as they will sting like hell . they use 1000 lbs of epsom salts per tank in less than 2 feet of water. i went in and immediately started burning in my "lady parts" as well as a few cuticles and got it in my eye as well i was in for and hour and a half and did have a shower when i got out but no hand shower so could not reach up inside . I am married and had relations with my hubby before and after . about a week later i developed a rash and got a uti the rash turned into blisters , from friction from my husband as well as i also ride horses. going into seeing my doctor he immediately announced i had herpes and gave me a rx for valtrex even though a blood test was not taken. isn't it possible that the preceding salt bath caused all this ? i have read many accounts of other women ending up with similar problems . Help I am having so much anxiety over this and i just got a call from my doctor to come in and see him. i'm hoping it is to tell me good news and to take the valtrex off my list of medications and switch to an antibiotic cream to clear this up . thankyou for your time
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 7 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.

Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with premium services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.

The stress from the bath salts, riding, marital activity could have irritated things enough to cause the dormant herpes to flair up into a outbreak.

There is no reason to freak out over this even if it does not turn out that the initial treatment was in error

Does this make sense to you?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS