Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

I wake up and have to often pry my eylids apart gently.

Customer Question

I wake up and have to often pry my eylids apart gently. Other ornings I have no problems. I do not have any stickiness on my eyelids I can see but I do suffer from allergies and also Dry Eye Syndrome. Sometimes I pry too hard and get a small corneal abrasion. I used lubibication drops 3-4 x daily and at bedtime.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 9 months ago.

It sounds that it is a consequence of your Dry Eye Syndrome from your description ( not sounding that you are describing symptoms of an infections conjunctivitis or allergic conjunctivitis..) I think FOLLOW UP with your opthomologist is what is most needed to your case. You might benefit from RESTASIS eye drops if that has not been tried..

Other potential options for RX eye drops may be of more help to you...

I hope that this is helpful for you.

Let me know if you have further questions. I will be happy to get back with you.

Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I know I have DES, doctor. Restasis is not for me because I have had Herpes Simplex 1 in my left eye twice in the past 15 years, plus I am on a retirement fixed income and Restasis is $300/month assuming it worked for me. I was actually wanting suggestions aside from lubricating or patching my eyes at bedtime (mixed results) or a better way to "open them" in the morning, like with maybe a saline soak on cotton or something else to maybe "loosen things up" so I do not have to put so much force and potential trauma on the cornea when I pry the lids apart in the morning. The eye doctors I have seen have over the years only suggested lid cleaning at bedtime (tried that) and Lacrilube ointment (too sticky and actually doesn't work). I do not have scar tissue yet on either eye, and want to keep it that way! Surely there must be a way to aid in getting my eyes apart without risking damage? I also have glaucoma, but the eye doctor said that has nothing to do with this. One would think in 2016 as common as I think this is (if not caused by Pink eye or other infection or blepharitis, which I do not have, there would be a resolution to this symptom that is very frustrating and potentially can cause damage to my epithelium or cornea over time. - Dennis

Hello again ---

Ok it sounds that your case is challenging as you have consulted an opthalmologist and some measures would not be good choices of you have had ocular herpes ....I am a Family practice MD and I will opt out as there are ophthalmologists on this site ...I think they may be more helpful for you potentially ...it sounds that my ideas such as lacrilube and Restasis have been shot down already.

Hold on as another expert will pickle up your question ....

Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD