Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

I recently had my eyes examined by both an Opthamologist and

Customer Question

I recently had my eyes examined by both an Opthamologist and an Optometrist two weeks apart. Opthamologist dilated me my Rx was OD -10.25 OS -10.5. Optometrist undialated OD:-7.25 /OS -7.75. Was there an error made? Last year my Optometrist dilated me my Rx was OD: -7.00/ OS -7.50.
JA: Keeping an eye on your eyes' health is important - for most people vision is their most valued sense. Our Expert will help you with which sort of vision doctor you should visit. Is there anything else important you think the Opthamologist should know?
Customer: No
JA: Our top Opthamologist is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Opthamologist in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Opthamologist until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for the question.

It would help to know your age as it would help to know if there has been accomodation in undilated state. Accomodation is known to increase the myopia and is abolished by using cycloplegic eye drops( dilating). Please get back to your ophthalmologist to know if you need a PMT or post mydriatic test which gives the subjective correction of the glasses. Myopia can increase every year until an individual has reached the age of 25 to 30 years. After that there is seldom an increase.

Thanks and best wishes

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hello. I am 32 yrs old.

Thank you for the reply.

Spectacle correction needs to be given in 2 visits. The first visit is to dilate( in young individuals) and look for refractive error . In the second visit correction factors for the dilating drop and the distance at which test was performed are considered. Then subjective correction is given. You can get back to the ophthalmologist to verify and to ascertain the number again.