Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

My grand daughter who will be 6 in Oct has since age 3 been

Customer Question

My grand daughter who will be 6 in Oct has since age 3 been wearing glasses for what I believe the call astigmatism. Her left eye ball wanders. She wears glasses to correct this problem as well as far sightedness. The wandering eye ball (right) problem is getting worse and she is becoming increasingly embarrassed by it. She squints the right eye, why that over them one that is affected - I don't know, to try and detract attention I'm assuming, I'm worried that this will become a major draw back for her. Should she be having other treatment other than wearing glasses to correct this problem.
By the way I too have a wandering eyeball problem which seemingly was only visible to my optometrist until a few years ago. Now when I'm tired - it's visible.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 9 months ago.

Does the wandering eye turn in or out? Did it initially get better when she started wearing glasses? Do you know if one eye sees better than the other (according to her)?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The eye turns in. Yes there was some improvement after she started wearing glasses - but I didn't think significant. Now maybe when I look at her with my 'eye' her return glance became more distorted.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It's my perception now that the left eye is also wandering - but it's hard to tell as she turns away quickly and I only see her every 2-3 mths
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Are you still there?

Yes, I'm sorry I had to step away from my desk for a time.

Let me respond here.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
what do you think

If the turning in of the eyes is getting worse despite the glasses it may be time to have the prescription updated (if it has been several months). In her new prescription (or if this one is relatively new), if her prescription is not keeping her eyes straight ahead most of the time, then her vision is likely not developing as it should (in this crucial time of vision development from birth to age 10. If that's the case, the surgery should be considered to straighten the eyes so they can both be looking at the same target and so the brain does not begin to prefer one over the other (called amblyopia). Does that make sense?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I think so can you please me that information to my email address***@******.***. I need to figure how to get to my daughter for her consideration. Thank you.

Unfortunately I do not have the capability to email anything to you from this website (I'm an end user of the website like you, I'm just the expert in this case). My best suggestion would be to just use the mouse on your computer to select all of the text of this conversation, copy it, then paste it into a word processing document like Microsoft Word. Otherwise, I don't know of a straight-forward way to get a copy of the transcript. Do you have any other questions that I can answer about this for you?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you need any clarification regarding anything I've said, please let me know and I will be happy to address your concerns as you voice them. If your concerns have been resolved...

Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback; any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied.

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!