Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Would you know if a chalazion can cause ptosis? I noticed I

Customer Question

hi
JA: Hello. What seems to be the problem?
Customer: Would you know if a chalazion can cause ptosis? I noticed I had a small one on the inside of my eyelid and for the past year or so it has felt heavy and looks lower than the other.
JA: The Opthamologist will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Opthamologist can help you best.
Customer: It looks like a smallish yellow lump on the inside of my eyelid.
JA: Is there anything else the Opthamologist should be aware of?
Customer: Not that I can think of.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Opthamologist about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Eye
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I noticed the one eyelid was lower whenever I was tired or drunk, but it's now bad enough to be noticeable throughout the day.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 9 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.

Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with premium services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.

How old are you?

Can you upload a picture of the eyelid with the ptosis and chalazion?

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi Dr Rick, I'm 23 and I have no other medical problems or conditions. I'm finding it hard to get the chalazion to show up in photos due to the position and small size. It looks like a small yellowish colored lump on the inside of my eyelid, and is similar to the photo I found online and have attached.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The chalazion is located on my upper left eyelid, close to my nose.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for that additional information and the pictures.

The second picture is of a lower eyelid.....and the first picture is out of focus. That being said, I do not see a large amount of ptosis in your left eye.

So. What can you do? There is a home treatment you can try. If that doesn't work, you can have a very simple surgery done at the office. Please allow me to explain:

The most common cause for swelling or bump on the eyelid is a chalazion or a stye. These bumps form when a gland in your eyelid gets plugged up and possibly infected. It is very often associated with a condition called blepharitis.

The treatment for this condition, however, is not antibiotics but rather cleaning the eyelids with baby shampoo. Buy some unscented baby shampoo and, in the shower, put the shampoo on your index fingers. Close your eyes, and raise your eyelids (to get skin out of the way) and scrub back and forth along your EYELASH margin. This is where the gland openings are located. The warm water will soften the gunk in the plugged glands, the friction and pressure of your fingers will massage the glands, forcing the gunk out and the shampoo will wash it away. You can also use warm compress to the affected lids during the day as your schedule allows.

This treatment will help to treat the bump on your eyelid while at the same time solving your underlying blepharitis. The lump may take many weeks to go away but you should notice some improvement in a few days or so.

If this doesn't work then the chalazion or stye can be removed with a straight forward surgery in your ophthalmologists office. Here is a good video that shows this procedure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zlaeh8CBJXc

This takes care of this condition in the vast majority of cases.

And, yes, a large chalazion can cause ptosis in some cases.....

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS