Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I've normally been very careful while smoking Marijuana. I

Customer Question

I've normally been very careful while smoking Marijuana. I either avoid it or have it in moderation. However, just last week I took a dry hit of some very bad stuff and immediately felt a weird sensation in my left eye. It almost feels lazy with the eyelid drooping and a sharp pain just above it. The right eye seems just fine. The drooping has persisted for 4 days now and when I touch the area just above my eye, I can feel the pain, which is almost like a dull heavy feeling. Worried about an aneurysm but I doubt whether weed, no matter how harsh or polluted, could cause something so severe. Feeling really worried and fatigued. Desperately looking for a solution. Thanks!!
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 9 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.

Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with premium services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.

can you feel a bump or sore spot on the affected eyelid?

Does your eyelid look abnormal/droopy etc? If so, can you upload a picture

Is your vision affected?

Do you wear contacts?

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi doctor,There is no bump or sore spot. It just pains quite a bit just above the eye. I also had a viral throat infection just before this eye droop began, so I have considered the possibility that it is merely my sinuses acting up. I do find it strange however, that all this began, just after I took marijuana. I ingested it via a bong and forgot to add water or even clean it properly. Hence, the hit was very harsh, and it all began with my eyes feeling dry and eyelid droopy.My vision is fine. It is just the droopy eyelid and sore headache on touching above the eye causing a problem. It also pains in the area between my left eye and nose when I touch/press it.I do not wear contacts but have slight Myopia which never caused anything like this before.I have uploaded a photo of the eye in question which appears slightly more droopy than my right eye. Whether, this is because of a nervous issue caused by the weed or a headache/pressure around the eye, I do not know!!
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for that additional information and picture.

Looks like you got pink eye.

The good news? It is probably not anything from the bad stuff or the dirty bong.

You will be OK. Please allow me to explain:

It sounds like you have viral conjunctivitis, also called pink eye. As this is caused by a virus no antibiotics are necessary as they only treat bacteria, not viruses. You should use cold compresses and natural tears as often as you want to soothe your eyes. This infection usually runs its course in two weeks or so.

This is because pink eye is caused by a virus and just has to run its course. It may spread to your other eye. This is very common and is nothing to worry about.

You should use cold compresses and natural tears as often as you want to soothe your eyes. Bion tears is very good brand name but any artificial tears will work just fine.

It is also very contagious so make sure to wash your hands well, don't share towels etc. It is likely that other members of your household will catch this.....But not to worry, in the vast majority of cases the infection resolves without any residual effects.

Does this make sense to you?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks a lot for the info doc.My one doubt however, is that I heard that in pink eye, the eye is usually noticeably red/pink. However, my eye is not really that red and pretty much the same color as my right eye. I also have no discharge. The entire Sclera except for the absolute corners is white. Also, the pressure above the eye and between the eye and nose does concern me. Again, I greatly appreciate your help.Thanks
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Also, this started 3 days back, and what has been worrying me most are the drooping eyelids and headache. There is no redness to be seen. Could you please help clear my doubts?Thank you so much
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 9 months ago.

It is very unlikely that the bad pot and dirty bong did anything to your eyes, eyelids etc

That being said, you are correct: Usually the conjunctiva is red with pink eye.

At this point the best thing to do is see your MD for a full exam in person if you are still having issues.

But, from what you have posted, I feel you will be OK.

Make senses?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you can please give me the top rating in all areas. It has been a pleasure to assist you today.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS