Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

I was given 3000 mg. of Prednisone, 1000 mg per IV dose over

Customer Question

I was given 3000 mg. of Prednisone, 1000 mg per IV dose over a period of three days to treat what the opthalmologist thought was giant cell arteritis, which I do not have, but probably eye stroke or small opening for the optic nerve. I became so ill I had to be hospitalized and just got out of several weeks in a nursing home. I am very weak, memory is poor, and I need much rehab. I believe that the dosage was way too high. What is your opinioin?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Yes, I lost the sight in my left eye rather suddenly Nov. 4, 2015, was several opth. who did the CRP and SR labs, which were negative in every case. Even the temporal artery biopsy was neg. One doctor thought I had an eye stroke, or rightness around the optic nerve.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Doctors generally expect a deposit of about $34 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Eye
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

Hi

Prednisone is an oral medication.

There are IV steroids with similar and different names

Please find out exactly what you had.