Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

I have a bruise on my left eye upper eyelid. I noticed it as

Customer Question

I have a bruise on my left eye upper eyelid. I noticed it as a small bruise about 12mm long at about 6am today. It is now 3pm and has extended towards my nose and increased in height to be become quite noticeable. The colour is now not as dark. What is the cause, and should I be concerned?
JA: Keeping an eye on your eyes' health is important - for most people vision is their most valued sense. Our Expert will help you with which sort of vision doctor you should visit. Is there anything else the Opthamologist should be aware of?
Customer: I had an injury playing Squash 50 years ago. Surely this would not be responsible.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Opthamologist about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for the question.

Yes, you are right that a 50 years old injury would not have caused this bruise. However one needs to keep in mind that the tiny capillaries in the skin around the are thin and the tissue is loose connective tissue which can get bruised easily. A subtle trauma such as a bang on the forehead would also result in such a bruise. Sometimes the forehead trauma is so subtle that it may even go unnoticed.

You can apply a cold pak daily for 10 minutes. The bruise would take about 7 to 10 days to disappear. Tha skin will change color from red to purple to green before it disappears.

Hope the answer helps.