Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

My name is ***** ***** and I have been diagnosed with

Customer Question

hi my name is ***** ***** and I have been diagnosed with advanced glaucoma in my left eye and mild in my right eye. I am currently considering having an operation or sticking with surgery
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: well I went for a regular eye check up and my eye pressure was high and I complained of seeing halos once in a blue moon. I got bumped up to emergency and it was confirmed I had glaucoma. they started me out with eye drops called monopost and for about 2 weeks and then duo trav. after about two months my eye pressure on both eye is down 14 , initial eye pressure was above 30 for both eyes. I am back in the uk, cause I don't live here to have my follow up check up and decide if I should have an operation. I am worried about the efficacy of the operation over a long period of time (20years). but I hear there isn't enough data over that period of time
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Eye Doctors generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 10 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.

Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with additional services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.

Do you know what your "cup to disk ratio" is in each eye?

Do you have a copy of your latest visual fields?

Is your ophthalmologist considering doing a trabeculectomy?

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Oops....one more:

Male/Female?

How old are you?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
hi
I do not have a copy of my test results but the doctor said I should choose which treatment plan I will like to proceed with. but for the surgery she said it was the trabeculectomy. I am turning 27 this march and I am male. I don't have answers to most of your questions but I was informed by the doctor that I have lost a lot of peripheral vision in my left eye. not that I am blind but I will require bright light to see through my peripheral. I don't have any other medical condition that I am aware of, but as of family history my granddad on my dads side had glaucoma.thanks

Sounds like you should go with the trabeculectomy.

Before doing so, however, it would probably be good idea to see a glaucoma specialist for a second opinion and treatment plan.

Glaucoma is a blinding, irreversible disease...nothing to mess around with while you "think about it".

Does this make sense to you?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS