Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I want a detailed answer regarding my eyes/vision. I had

Customer Question

Hello! I want a detailed answer regarding my eyes/vision. I had lasik at 26 and had 20/15 vision after the procedure (-4.5R/5.25L) before the surgery. I am now 31 and have developed some slight myopia ( right - .25, left -.50, astigmatism (R -.25 (12) L -.25(11) ). One thing I have always noticed both before lasik and even now is though when corrected I achieve very good vision, my left eye always seems a bit blurry when looking out of them separately (at a distance). At times I feel that up close with my corrective lens on it is the reverse and my left is slightly clearer. I mean could this just be due to them being 2 separate organs and maybe my right eye has a higher visual acuity then my left eye at a distance? In addition even without my glasses I can read things that my wife can't at a distance. We had her vision checked thinking it must be myopia and she tested 20/20 or better. I use Similasan drops frequently throughout the day (even though I don't really suffer from dryness) as a protective measure. I work long hours in the computer - probably 12 or more a day. I have anti-glare and good (i assume) coatings on my glasses. I asked my own optometrist if I should be worried about the excessive time on a computer, and he said as long as I am using drops and resting my eyes every 20-30 minutes (which i do by getting up and walking around) it should have no effect on my vision, as my issues are related to the length of my eyeball. Even though my prescription is weak - I have always been extremely sensitive to the difference in both eyes. I know it sounds absurd, but I can tell when they are different by more than - .25 (does something to my overall perception). If you could give some of your generous time to answer my question I would really appreciate it. Some things I do are lubricate, rest muscles, where my glasses which are anti glare etc(and i prefer the best vision i can get as without them even though slight i am sensitive to the difference) and have recently changed to lights in my working areas that mimic daylight. Could you summarize and give me a detailed answer as I am actually OCD (diagnosed) and I obsess about this for some reason. I felt that coming here and getting a detailed answer from an Ophthalmologist might be more enlightening then at the Optometrist. Please feel free to ask me any additional questions.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 10 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.

Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with additional services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.

Do you have your pre and post-lasik ophthalmology records?

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Dr. Rick, thanks for reaching out and I will definitely reward you for your answer if I am satisfied which I'm sure I will be. I don't handily have my lasik records, but I will tell you what I know. They said I was as "ideal" a candidate as I could be, thick corneas and very little existing astigmatism; basically a qtr step in each eye which still holds true now. I have never had any astigmatism related issues such as strain or headaches. They did tell me there was plenty of "material" I'm guessing that meant cornea for enhancements if one was needed in the future, but they thought that would be unlikely as my degradation was pretty stable at 26. I had not had changes in 2 years to my prescription. I have read that some lasik professionals use a regression model as the eye ages until you are around 30 (you can verify if that is true or not) but my doctor who is one of the best in the southeast, Dr. Marc Michelson ( feel free to review his credentials and offer your opinion ) did not use a regression model and I heard in most cases he would under correct rather than over correct. My corrected eyesight before lasik with glasses/contacts was 20/15. I always notice my left eye to be a bit blurrier at a distance, even when corrected. Again, I'm super sensitive to the difference in each eye even though I know that sounds blown out of proportion, but even my optometrist has been surprised when he tries to throw me a curveball that I can tell with both eyes open. With LASIK I was corrected to 20/15 and though when closing one eye at a time I could tell the right seemed clearer, at that point the difference was negligible. I didn't have problems with dryness after lasik, even with my job in programming requiring long hours at the computer. I still 5 years later use Similasan a few times a day just as a protective measure because I know blinking is reduced when staring at the computer. I won't repeat the additional information from my original question to save you time as I know this is lengthy and detailed.Medical conditions:
OCD - treated with SSRI (existing vision issue was the same before treatment)
Blood Pressure - Lowest dose of lisonpril ( it's very mild and runs in my family )Very healthy outside of that. The retinal imagery of my eye at my recent exam (6 months ago) showed a very healthy eye overall; Long but healthy.I'll give you a chance to review this before I overload you. Again I will reward you for your time and detail on this if satisfied.Thanks!
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Just to inform you, though I want this answer now I would prefer to do it through chat, as I am working on a project and have a bridge line open. Story of my life 😊
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I responded pretty timely and just got an offer to have a call. Is this something that can not be answered? Thanks
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Please cancel and refund any payment related to this question. The dialogue ended and I'm not sure why I was charged when nothing was answered. Thank you

Hi. I went to bed.....even ophthalmologists have to sleep.

I would be happy to discuss this on the telephone or via skype chat. Just accept the additional services offer and I can give you a call.

I am, however, in clinic today but can call between patients, during lunch or after clinic is finished.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Dr. Rick, that is unacceptable. You can't sleep man :P - on a serious note I appreciate your response and I know my question is detailed and if it is outside of the scope that you feel comfortable answering via chat I can schedule an appointment with a local ophthalmologist and just let insurance take the hit, however if we have a dialogue through this system and I have peace of mind I will fairly reward you. I understand that you have patients, so with that in mind I will try to be more patient with your responses. Thanks again and let me know any other questions you have. I did just receive back my full blood panels today and I am within range exceptionally on all the different test. Please make our conversation private as I don't mind disclosing some information to you to get the most accurate answers. Thanks again.