Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I believe I may be experiencing ocular myasthenia gravis

Customer Question

I believe I may be experiencing ocular myasthenia gravis include diplopia (double vision) and ptosis (eyelid droop). My optometrist initially prescribed prism lenses and worked for some time, while I also changed workstation lighting to no lights, window natural light and incandescent lamp on desk. It worked for a while until I changed offices and back to surrounded full fluorescents. And now it seems that my eyes got worse.
Even with prism lenses I see double and left eyelid is droopy again. I need a complete diagnosis for employer to correctly accommodate my vision needs. I guess the Dr. Note from optometrist didn't work.
In addition the Opthalmologist sent me for numerous tests and couldn't find anything wrong except that my left eye will not go down all the way, but is that part of the ocular myasthenia diplopia? It has been months of exams and tests, but nothing yet; (cat scans, blood test, numerous vision tests)
Please help me. I do not want to loose my vision and it is so difficult seeing with double vision and I need my employer to accommodate me at work.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 10 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.

Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with additional services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.

It sounds like you have spent quite some time trying to get to the bottom of what is going on. I am sure that your previous doctors have thought of, and ruled out, all of the common and easily treatable conditions that could be causing your issues. Would you say this is a correct statement?

Well I think it might be time for you to take a very difficult, and bold, step to see if you can get some relief.

At this point I think the best thing for you to do would be to gather up copies of all your medical records and travel to a large University Teaching hospital. At an institution like that you could be evaluated and treated by a team of sub-specialists who are at the cutting edge of their respective fields. The best thing about these large teaching hospitals is that consultations are available with Professors and leaders in their field by just walking a few steps down the hall.

The Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota is an excellent example of just such a place as this. That being said there are many excellent teaching hospitals all across the country and I am sure that there is one near you.

I know that it is going to take significant effort on your part, but I believe that going to one of the "Medical Mecca's" is your best chance to – finally -- get to the bottom of what is going on.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned the top rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS