Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

Just got a drop of bleach in my eye. Rinsed on and off

Customer Question

Just got a drop of bleach in my eye. Rinsed on and off for 10 minutes with cool water. Eye feels irritated. What should I expect?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 10 months ago.

It is likely to incite a mild chemical reaction in the eye which might cause irritation to the eye for a day or two. You have done just the right thing by rinsing the eye immediately with water as it helps to get rid of most of the chemical out of the eye. However the brief contact in the eye does cause some amount of inflammation. For a mild reaction it is sufficient to soothe the eye with lubricating eye drops such as Refresh tears eye drops, 1 drop 4-6 times a day for a few days. In case the irritation persists for more than a day or two and causes redness, watering or pain in the eye, then do get the eye examined by an ophthalmologist for a closer look and start of anti-inflammatory eye drops.

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist