Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

My daughter was diagnosed as having binocular double vision

Customer Question

good night Doctor,my daughter was diagnosed as having binocular double vision just a week ago by her opthalmologist.she did a mri brain and that is normal. She had gravel eyes which would be watery and uncomfortale in the light ,especially after waking up which the doctor is treating for allergy.However she was referred to a neurologist today and she clinically diagnosed Myasthenia Gravis.My daughter is 32 yrs old,just finish studying for her major medical exam in which she has been going round the clock every night back to back. Could this account for her week eyes as she has no other sympton of this disease?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.

Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with additional services, such as live telephone consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.

Has she had any further testing to confirm the MS diagnosis?

Does she have any other symptoms?

Does she have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, She has not done an other testing as yet,she has no other symptoms and no other medical problems for which she is on medication.She was diagnosed years ago with hypothyroidism but has since shown no signs in her blood test.Last blood test was done in 2014
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am now awaiting your answer Doc
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Hello,I'm Camille, and I’m a moderator for this topic. I sent your requested Expert a message to follow up with you here, when he is back online.
If I can help further, please let me know. Thank you for your continued patience.
Best,
Camille
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Camielle,
i thought the response was immediate? is it that Dr.Rick could not answer my question?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

sorry for the delay. I am on vacation snowmobiling in the National Forest and WiFi has to go through my cell phone when there is a signal available -- Gotta love AT&T.

To directly answer your question, her intense study did not cause her double vision or give her symptoms suggest of MS

The good news?

There are good medications and treatments that should be able to help your daughter. It sounds like she is in excellent hands.

The next step will probably involve further testing such as MRI, blood work and possibly a lumbar puncture to evaluate her spinal fluid in order to nail down the clinical diagnosis.

Here is an excellent article from a highly respected source that you might find helpful:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/myasthenia-gravis/basics/definition/con-20027124

Does this make sense to you?

Don't forget to mash the positive feedback button for me...the one labeled "excellent" is the most fun to push by far ;)

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Once again, sorry for the delay in responding. I wish you and your daughter the very best.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dr.Rick,
i think the answer is kind of vague,what is MS?you did say she seem to be in excellent hands in what area are you referring?Is it the treatment for the allergy?