Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
24257177

My mother in law is 95 years old, and had cataracts replaced

Customer Question

My mother in law is 95 years old, and had cataracts replaced badly 10 years ago, and now suffers dry macular degeneration. I would like to spend some money and get her SOME IMPROVED vision for her remaining years - only to watch a 60" TV that is 15' feet away from her chair - she can't read the words crawling across the screen.Her macular docs say there's nothing to do, but I'm thinking some combination of laser, implanted lenses, or something could restore improved 15-foot vision - even at the expense of far-away vision, which we don't care about.Maybe one eye close up for reading (which she hasn't done in 10 years) and one for 10-20 foot distances. She has NO VISION NOW, and has said many times if she goes completely blind she would rather be dead.thanks.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 11 months ago.

Hello

What does the opthalmologist say the vision loss is from?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ripped stitch in one cataract eye. And macular degeneration. .

OK

The cataract can probably be replaced if it is defective.

The macular degeneration has no treatment to restore site once the damage it done.

This is assuming the surgeon can replace the cateract lense.

That you can get a second opinion on.

however, the loss due to macular degeneration is not reparable.

OK, so that is an initial answer….

Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.