Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I have a lazy eye left eye. now I've been wearing contact

Customer Question

I have a lazy eye left eye. For years now I've been wearing contact lenses and they've helped but lately with the lenses every now and then the eye turns in and my vision gets blurry
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 11 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.

Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with additional services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.

How old are you?

Do you know what your vision with your best glasses/contacts in place is in your lazy eye?

Did you wear an eye patch as a child?

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hello thanks for all help!! I've always had it and wore glasses as a kid but never an eyepatch. It's in my left eye and turns in. My father says its heriditery because he has it too and has alway had glasses. I have had contacts for awhile and never had a problem with it turning in while wearing them until just recently. I do not know my best vision not the eye and no sir I do not take medications. I am 21 years old. Please sir anything you might could share with me to help would be much appreciated

Thank you for that additional information.

In "doctor speak" you have intermittent esotropia.

So. What to do?

There are a number of options:

1. You could wear glasses instead of contacts. This may control your eye better and keep it from turning in.

2. You could wear you contacts knowing that your eye may turn in at times but that this will NOT hurt your eye at all.

3. You could consult with a pediatric ophthalmologist (they deal with adults who have eyes that turn in etc) and see if you would be a candidate for surgical treatment.

So. What is the bot***** *****ne?

This turning in will not damage your eye or your vision at this point and there are things that can be done to help.

Does this make sense to you?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you very much! But I've been wearing contacts for a few years and the eye stayed straight. Why is this happening now ?

That is an excellent question and while you did not tell me your age, this often happens as patients get older, especially as they get close to their 40's.

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you can please give me the top rating in all areas. It has been a pleasure to assist you today.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS