Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

I have a chalazion and i'm trying to figure out how to get

Customer Question

Customer: hi i have a chalazion and i'm trying to figure out how to get rid of it are there any natural remedies or over the counter products that you can recommend?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Last Thursday i developed a stye, and it seemed to go away, but now it looks like a chalazion - just a lump (seemingly under the top eyelid) i've been applying hot teabag compresses 15-20min a day
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Eye Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: thats fine - you can't answer yourself?
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 1 year ago.

A stye (or chalazion which is an old, chronic stye) is a blocked oil gland in the eyelid that causes a swollen and sometimes focal, tender bump on the eyelid. When the opening of the gland is obstructed the oil spills out into the inside tissues of the eyelid which incites an immune reaction, causing the swelling, redness and tenderness, but these only rarely become secondarily infected and therefore usually don't respond to antibiotics. The definitive treatment for these is to use intensive hot compresses, but many people dont do them as intensively as is necessary to fully treat them. It should be as hot as you can tolerate without burning your skin, massaging the eyelids while they are on there. This should be done 4x/day and doing this daily, it can take up to 3 weeks of this intensive regimen for them to resolve, but most will resolve within this time. The ones that don't resolve after this need to be opened in a minor office procedure by your ophthalmologist. But unfortunately OTC medicines that say they treat styes are essentially ineffective and don't treat the root cause of the stye, which is the blocked oil gland that usually will resolve with the heat and massages.

Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 1 year ago.

Does this make sense? Does this information help address your concerns? Do you have any other questions about this?

I am happy to be able to help you today. I have to step was from my computer for about 20 minutes. If you need any clarification regarding anything I've said, please let me know and I will be happy to address your concerns as you voice them. If your concerns have been resolved...

Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback; any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied.

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!

Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 1 year ago.

I'm back. Just checking in to see if you have any other questions about this. I'll check back in a few v

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i tried massaging it during a compress and it got even bigger...
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 1 year ago.

It can get somewhat bigger with massage, this shouldn't stop you from doing the massage.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why so? isn't the goal to reduce the size of the stye?
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, but the way that is accomplished is by heating up the congealed oil in the chalazion (hot compress) and getting it moving (massage w/ the compress). If it gets a little bigger it's just because the heat produces some mild inflammation within the skin causing some fluid influx which is temporary. It doesn't make the chalazion bigger or worse. Keep in mind though if you've been doing this diligently the way I've prescribed for 3 weeks, it's likely not going to go away without a procedure by your ophthalmologist.