Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

My name is ***** *****. My 16 year old son has a detached

Customer Question

Customer: My name is ***** *****. My 16 year old son has a detached retina in his right eye which has left him with no vision. This happened six years ago. In the past year he has developed an extreme sensitivity to looking at any type of screen - computer, tv, tablet, cell phone. He says it makes his "good" (left) eye feel very irritated - it burns and causes him great discomfort. We have seen his retina specialist, cornea specialist, ophthalmologist, neuro-opthamologist, and regular eye doctor - all of whom can find nothing "physically" wrong with the eye,
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: He is using Systane drops daily, and uses the Systane Gel Drops at night. This is a big problem for him as he is a high school student, and has to use a computer in almost every class. We have purchased the Crizal Prevencia lenses which helped slightly as they block blue light. We also purchased the Blue Tech yellow-tinted lenses which are supposed to block a larger percentage of blue light, but they have not helped much either.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Eye Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Eye
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
By process of elimination, we feel that the issue may have something to do with LED or blue light since the eye only seems to bother him after looking at screen. His eye feels best when he is outdoors. We are unable to find an eye doctor who specializes in this type of issue - and we live in a city where there are many eye doctors. Can you make any suggestions or recommendations as to what a solution to this problem could be?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.

Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with additional services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.

I am a retina surgeon.

What surgeries did he have to try and fix his detached retina?

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He had two surgeries to reattach his retina. Neither one worked. He has a scleral buckle and silicone in his eye. We took him to Bascom palmer Eye Institute in Miami and they said they would not do another surgery to try to reattach the retina because they felt it would not work. He also had the band keratopathy removed from his eye as it was flaking and causing him great discomfort. That was around four years ago and he hasn't had problems with it since then. The current issue with the eye irritation caused by looking at computer screens, tv, cell phone, etc. has been going on for about a year.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for that additional information.

From what you have posted, your son has had the very best of eye care and an exhaustive workup by very well trained ophthalmology sub-specialists.

I do not believe that blue blockers or special glasses are the answer to his current problem.

And, given the data you have provided, I do not believe that there is a physical/ophthalmological cause.

His extreme sensitivity to looking at any type of screen most likely has an emotional/psychological component to it. As such, perhaps an evaluation by an expert is this area would be helpful.

I realize that this was not the answer you were hoping to hear but it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information.

Surely, you prefer that I tell the truth rather than what you wish to hear. Because it reflects very poorly on me unless you press one of the top three feedback choices, keep this in mind when rating my answer and please do not punish me for being honest. I understand that this may not be easy to hear, and I empathize.

Even though my answer was not quite what you were hoping for, please understand that my priority was to provide you with the most honest information. With that in consideration, I hope that you found my answer useful. Please click the excellent feedback button so that I can receive credit for my efforts.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response, however I must respectfully ***** ***** your diagnosis. My son is a happy child who does excellent in school, is a good athlete, is socially active, and has an optimistic nature. He is generally not one to complain - in fact quite the opposite. Since posting this question I have found a website/forum for monocular individuals - some of whom have artificial eyes to replace their injured ones, and some of whom still have an injured eye with no vision due to injuries similar to my son's. Many of them suffer from sensitivity to light in their "good" eye. After giving it more thought, I am wondering if this sensitivity is due to his optic nerve. For the first few years the retina specialist said that his sensitivity to light in the injured/no vision eye was due to his optic nerve still functioning. At the last retina appointment a different doctor (not his usual retina surgeon) said he felt that the same optic nerve was no longer working. I am wondering if his good eye is having to work harder as a result.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Then, at this point, your best bet is to go back to a Large University Teaching hospital for the "full court press" workup to find the physical root of his complaints.

I wish you and you son the very best.

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS