Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

My Opthamologist prescribed me glasses to wear full time to

Customer Question

My Opthamologist prescribed me glasses to wear full time to help me focus and for "prism" vision. My eyes especially my right one waters a lot, I have floaters, headaches, itchy eyes with a feeling of pressure on my eyes, especially the right one.
I've had a lot of back problems fusions at 7 levels, and I'm currently seeing a rhemotologist for possible ankylosing Spondylitis, or another form of arthritis or osteoporosis. I've also been diagnosed with scoliosis, I did not tell him about my eyes, do you think it would be helpful to tell him about my eye symptoms, and my Opthamologist about my possible AS diagnosis?
I don't think the glasses prescribed are helping, sometimes I feel as though wearing the glasses make my eyes water more, I have increased floaters and severe headaches. She put me on pataday drops for what she said was allergies of the eyes. When I put the drops in my eyes burn really bad, it goes away within 10-15 minutes but then my eyes stay red. My pupils are always dialated, I have crystal blue eyes so it's easy for my husband, mom etc to notice and ask why are your pupils dialated.
Do you think there is any correlation of the inflammation in my skeletal system, possible AS or another type of arthritis to cause any of the symptoms in my eyes?? Just scares me my grandma has had retinal detachment twice and suffers from glaucoma both happened and she was diagnosed with the glaucoma in her early 20's, she and my grandpa have also had cataract surgery. My grandma also gets injections in her eyes once a month, not sure what type of injections though.
I'm kinda scared she dialated my eyes checked my retina and eye pressure at my last appt and said they were normal.
I just wanted to know if you think any of my symptoms or problems have anything to do with the strong possibility of AS or anything else that I can do to make my eyes better? Or any idea of what is making my eyes deteriorate so quickly I get a yearly check up and every year my eyes are worse. Any suggestions or help would greatly be appreciated. I'm 32, a wife, a mom of one little girl right now and soon to be mom of 2 through a second adoption. So I really want to make sure I am doing everything possible to make my eyes better or stabilize them.thank you in advance for any help,
Delicia
Category: Eye
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also forgot to mention I have severe photophobia. Sometimes I wear my sunglasses inside.
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 1 year ago.

Hello Delicia,

Thank you for the question though I must say it took me a while to go through.

I need a few clarifications here and need your answers to them.

1. What is your vision with the glasses for distance in each eye? Is it 20/20?

2. Was the eye doctor who examined you last an ophthalmologist( eye MD) or an optometrist?

This is just an information request. In the meanwhile I will be typing the rest of my answer pertaining to the other issues.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
20/20 without the glasses. She prescribed them for the blurry vision I was having all the time to help my eyes focus, and for what she called prism eyes.
She was an optometrist.

Thank you for the prompt reply and additional information.

With a vision of 20/20 I believe it is unlikely for your symptoms of watering and itching of eyes to be due to an intraocular inflammation . In fact the symptoms are more likely to be due to seasonal allergies. Pataday should be more than enough for this.

However do consult an ophthalmologist for a routine eye exam just to be sure that there are no signs of a sub-acute or chronic intraocular inflammation. Anterior uveitis is an inflammation of the eye for which one of the causes is Ankylosing spondylitis(AS). Hence it is important to mention this to your ophthalmologist . However your dialated pupils point against this likelihood ( uveitis is associated with small constricted pupils and not dialted pupils....so nothing to worry).

Do not worry about what your grandparents suffered from or that you too might be having the same eye diseases. So far your eye exams have not revealed anything abnormal in the eyes except for allergies so I guess nothing to worry about.

The photophobia might be subjective and probably so because you have slightly larger pupils. However if this symptom has started only recently then it is better to get your eyes examined by your ophthalmologist for a closer look.

Until then continue with the Pataday eye drops as prescribed, 1 drop twice a day. Try cool compresses to relief from itching.

Do let me know if you have follow up questions in this regard and I would be glad to answer them.

Thank you and have a good day!

I noticed that you have viewed the answer but not replied back. Is there something else that you need to ask or clarify? Were you looking for something else in the answer? Please let me know. I look forward to your reply.

However please do remember to rate the answer if your question has been answered satisfactorily.

Thanks and best wishes

Dr.A.S.Desai