Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

Any ideas what to take in left eye

Customer Question

any ideas what to take for shingles in left eye
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for the question.

Shingles or Herpes Zoster Ophthalmicus(HZO) can affect the eye in different ways and treatment depend on the structures that are involved inside the eye. A detailed eye exam by an ophthalmologist would help to start the appropriate treatment. Anti viral medicines such as Acyclovir or Valacyclovir are started as early as possible so as to reduce the intensity of symptoms and to prevent post herpwtic neuralgia. Apart from oral anti viral medicines mentioned above topical eye ointment is given if there is involvement of cornea also. It resolves usually over a period of 2 to 3 weeks.

Do let me know if you have any follow up questions. However if you find the above answer to your satisfaction then do remember give a positive rating.

Thank you and best wishes

I noticed that you have neither viewed the answer nor replied back. Is there something else that you need to ask or clarify? Were you looking for something else in the answer? Please let me know. I look forward to your reply.

However please do remember to rate the answer if your question has been answered satisfactorily.

Thanks and best wishes

Dr.A.S.Desai