Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

My eyes suddenly started burning. The only thing I did

Customer Question

Customer: Hi, My eyes suddenly started burning. The only thing I did unusul was to cut branches from a strange bush which had a milky sap Burning has continued for about an hour. Arhtur Foster
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I washed my hands but maybe the sap was poisonist and touched my eyes. How long will it last? How important is my problem
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Eye Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Please hurry. $!8 fee is ok
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Eye
Expert:  khagihara replied 11 months ago.

The milky sap is highly toxic and an irritant to the skin and eye. You should irrigate the eye with tap water at least for 30 minutes and go to the ER with a sample of the plant for identification.