Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

I have a bag under left eye 3 days.. it is lower toward the

Customer Question

Customer: i have a bag under left eye for about 3 days.. it is lower toward the cheek..i'm ***** ***** i'm61.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: it was higher up at first .it's not red ..it looks like fluid retention.. i thought it's a bug bite
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Eye Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for the question.

The skin under the eye is very thin and has loose connective tissue. Thus it has the ability to retain water quickly. However with fluid under only one eye, it is unlikly to be due to any systemic disease. You are right about a reaction from bug bite. The bite mark might be small and can get missed. Best solution is to apply ice pack to that part and take Syrup Benedryl,15 ml once. It might cause drowsiness in some hence avoid driving.

It is likely to subside in the next couple of days with the above measures.

Do let me know if you have any follow up questions.

Thank you and best wishes

Wish you a happy new year in advance.