Dr. Longo
Dr. Longo, Optometrist
Experience:  Residency in Ocular Disease, Managed Ocular ER
89512414

After having my third baby via csection, I started having

Customer Question

Hi! After having my third baby via csection, I started having constant visual disturbances (mostly like I'm looking at boiling water, sometimes wavy lines, sometimes bubbly looking, but always moving and in my upper left field of vision) it does seem to get worse when I am anxious and I see it well when I close my eyes. Also, it's worse in certain types of light. I've had my eyes checked and all is good and an MRI which was normal, bloodwork is good too. It's really annoying though and all docs think it's hormones, high stress, low sleep and high anxiety. Have you ever heard of this and how can I make it stop? Doc prescribed Paxil.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Longo replied 1 year ago.

These visual disturbances or ophthalmic migraines (visual disturbances/auras without an actual migraine) are common. The triggers are varied from hormonal, stress, food, etc. They are very annoying and in some patients unpredictable. The only thing you can do is establish your triggers and limit them. Since anxiety/stress is one of them, you were prescribed Paxil. Have you began taking it yet to see if it improves or decreases the frequency of your visual symptoms? If you are against medications, there are other stress relieving methods including meditative breathing exercises, regular massage, etc. It's a matter of finding what works for you personally. It can be an exhaustive journey finding what works for each individual, but it's a process. They may never fully stop but hopefully decrease in frequency.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Really! But these are constant, not off and on, just always there in my upper left field of vision (both eyes, same spot, a little stronger in my right) my neurologist said the same thing and I've had auras but this isn't like that. So, having three kids under 5 has been some of the most intense stress I've ever experienced. I don't know how to get rid of that trigger! I'm a stay at home mom, work some and homeschool. So these constant migraines are common? Also, in my right eye peripheral is a small clouded almost blind spot but the optometrist said its that one eye is making up for that piece of vision. Advil or Tylenol doesn't help by the way - I am breastfeeding so I can't start Paxil yet.
Expert:  Dr. Longo replied 1 year ago.

Constant is not as common - But everyone's body is different and processes differently. There are people that have actual migraine migraines chronically/daily because those nerves are in overdrive. Similar thing here but only visually. You have done all the necessary tests to rule out the scary things and that is great. Continue regular dilations and MRIs to ensure no changes going into the future. Monitor your blood pressure daily, as well. Stress can make blood pressure wax and wane and also contribute to the visual disturbances for some patients...both too high and too low blood pressures! Hopefully they will subside with time and improve, but there is no way to fully stop them on command. Once you finish Breast feeding, trial the medication. It will be trial and error and hopefully you will find something that helps you. You may not be able to stop stress and anxiety completely, but we could all benefit by lessening it in some way. =)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you :)
Expert:  Dr. Longo replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome! =) When you're ready don't forget to accept the answers and rate our discussion....that is how I get compensated. =)

Expert:  Dr. Longo replied 1 year ago.

If you do not have any further questions, please accept the answers to end this discussion - which allows me to be compensated. Thank you!