Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

My left eye is totally red exclusive of the iris. I applied

Customer Question

My left eye is totally red exclusive of the iris. I applied drops and there is no difference after 24 hours.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 12 months ago.

Is there any watering/discharge from that eye?

Are you experiencing any pain in that eye?

Did you have a severe bout of coughing or sneezing just prior to the redness?

Are you taking any systemic medications such as anti-hypertensives/low dose Aspirin?

This is just an information request and not a formed answer. I look forward to your replies.

Your symptom is suggestive of a sub-conjunctival hemorrhage (SCH) which is otherwise painless and does not affect vision.In this condition the tiny blood vessels in the conjunctiva ( white part of the eye) get ruptured and bleed. It can occur under various circumstances such as excessive forceful coughing/sneezing, in hypertensive individuals, in those who are on blood thinning medicines such as low dose aspirin, following subtle eye injury or without any apparent reason too. It is self healing and usually disappears within a week or two. In case of any other eye symptoms such as sudden reduction of vision, watering, discharge from the eyes, do get an eye check up done. But for a sub-conjunctival hemorrhage there is no need to visit an eye specialist.

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist