Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

I have what looks like a piece of lint moving across my left

Customer Question

I have what looks like a piece of lint moving across my left eye it is not visable from the outside when looking at my eye in the mirror, there is no irratation it is just very distracting.
I have had it for about 2 days. I was wondering if irrigating the eye would remove it?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the question.

Rinsing he eye with clean water would only help if there was a piece of lint in the eye which would have caused a foreign body sensation. Since you do not have any such sensation, it is likely that the thread like floater is actually due to age related changes in the eye.

Vitreous is a thick gel in the back of the eye which shows age related changes resulting in symptoms of floaters or wavy lines or patterns with or without flashes. However this requires a routine dilated eye exam by an ophthalmologist.