Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I'm confused by my prescription because it seems like a

Customer Question

I'm confused by my prescription because it seems like a drastic change from last year to now, though my vision doesn't appear to have changed. I'm getting ready to order glasses online and am just not sure that my new prescription is appropriate. My old
glasses suit me fine (vision is clear). Bot***** *****ne of my question - after reviewing the below prescription history, do the new prescription numbers make sense? My vision doesn't feel like it's changed a single bit. 2014 contacts prescription: OD Sph -4.75,
Cyl -1.25, Axis 7.0. OS Sph -5.0, Cyl -1.75, Axis 167. 2015 contacts (Cooper Biofinity Toric) prescription: OD BC 8.7, Diam 14.5, Pwr -4.5, Cyl -0.75, Axis 170. OS BC 8.7, Diam 14.5, Pwr -5.0, Cyl -1.25, Axis(###) ###-####glasses prescription: OD Sph -5.0, Cyl
-0.25, Axis 165. OS Sph -5.0, Cyl -1.5, Axis 165 There seems to be a great change in my OD Cyl and Axis from 2014 to this year. My 2014 glasses and 2015 contacts both give me great vision but before I pop my prescription in online I just want to make sure
that such a drastic shift in my prescription makes sense. I hope I'm making my concern clear... I don't know how to better phrase it. :)
Category: Eye
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please disregard. I will speak with my optometrist on Monday. Thank you!
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.

Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with additional services, such as live telephone consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.

Your eyeglass prescription and contact lens prescription will not have the same "numbers" in them even though they are of the exact same thing. This is because you have to convert glasses Rx for use in making contacts.

And, in any event, the 2014 Rx and the 2015 Rx are not all that different.

It makes perfect sense that things could have changed this much in one year :)

So. What is the take home message?

Since you see well out of both Rx's you should be fine to buy a new set online. I, personally, like coastal.com -- They offer excellent contacts and glasses at fantastic prices.

Does this make sense to you?

Don't forget to mash the positive feedback button for me...the one labeled "excellent" is the most fun to push by far ;)

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS