Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

Yesterday during the giving dinner my left eye became very

Customer Question

Yesterday during the giving dinner my left eye became very cloudy and occasionally saw spots and floaters... I am planning on seeing my eye doctor today. I was wondering if this was a cataract
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the question.

No, It is very unlikely to be due to cataract. Cataract occurs due to clouding of the natural crystalline lens in the eye and is a gradually progressive condition except in case of trauma. The sudden cloudiness of vision and floaters and spots could have been due to other eye conditions such as PVD or retinal problem. PVD or posterior vitreous detachment occurs due to separation of the thick gel called vitreous from its surrounding tissues causing the above symptoms. It is a wise decision to get the eye examined by an ophthalmologist so as to confirm the diagnosis.