Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I've had surgery retinal detachment 4 weeks ago. I want to

Customer Question

Hi there; I've had surgery for a retinal detachment 4 weeks ago. I want to discuss how long it will take for my vision to stabilise following surgery?
Category: Eye
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Some detail: I've had a vitrectomy, with cryotherapy and a CF4 bubble for an approx. 20% inferonasal detachment, with no macular involvement. I have had some pupillary paralysis from atropine until 24-48 hrs ago (stopped almost 3 weeks ago) and a moderate (however unchanged in number) amount of floaters in the eye.
The problem is that I'm still finding it difficult to concentrate on reading for more than 30 minutes because of headaches and tiredness. I relate this to the fact that, as a myope (-6) with astigmatism, vision in what was previously my dominant eye is not as good as the other eye (6/5 corrected in normal eye; 6/9 corrected in the operated eye). I'm presuming that it is common to need a new spectacle prescription following surgery? If so, how long is it likely to be before I can go and get that done (obviously I don't want to be getting numerous new pairs of specs), however need to be able to do close work, with spatial discrimination, for my job: I'm a Critical Care physician and Anaesthesiologist. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.

any other medical issues?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nope!
No meds: no allergies; ASA 1.
Otherwise healthy; regular cardio exercise (road cycling).
Thanks
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.

Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with additional services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.

I am a retina surgeon.

Do you know if your macula was detached?

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.