Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

Opthalmologist. I was diagnosed with bilateral iritis Monday

Customer Question

For an opthalmologist. I was diagnosed with bilateral iritis Monday afternoon after pain, cloudy vision and red eye. and have been on Durezol 1 drop each eye 6x a day. Today I went for a pressure check, which was good at 12. doc said right eye looked the same + 1 and left eye looked slightly improved. He felt they should have looked better after 48 hours, and now I am worried. He is sending me to an iritis specialist. Doesn't iritis take more time? My husband had it and it took a couple months to resolve.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the question.

Yes, iritis can take longer to resolve depending on the severity of inflammation. Sometimes it even needs additional oral steroids. Nothing wrong about consulting a specialist as bilateral iritis needs to be evaluated for various systemic conditions also. However most acute non granulomatous type of iritis are idiopathic in nature that is they do not have a known cause. They respond well to topical steroids.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I have already had chest xray, CBC, ANA, sed rate, Rf, done. all normal. Doc is also doing lyme and a few others i believe. I had another question. I was taking 6 drops Durezol per day and cyclogyl at nite because both pupils stuck to lens. They are apparently unstuck now. He told me I could do Durezol every 2 hours until i see him Friday. Does that seem like a lot? I know Durezol is strong. I am a worrier and read about ocular lymphoma. I know it's rare. I read it usally diesn't present with red pness or the iris sticking to lens. Is that true. My left eye looked like full blown pink eye and my right eye had redness around the iris.

Sorry for the delay in replying back.

Durezol eye drops can be used every 2 hours and they do not carry the risk of increasing the IOP .

I hope your symptoms have reduced and your eye exam scheduled with an ophthalmologist/iritis specialist was helpful.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Saw specialist yesterday. Am off dilating drops finally. Right eye looked improved, but left eye didn't. So, he prescribed oral prednisone...40 mg.daily for one week. He called it a burst dose. I am not continue with Durezol drops. I see him again in 2 weeks. Does this sound right to you? Oh, the rest of my blood work came back, and it was all normal.