Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

I had 2 times of not catching my breath after climbing

Customer Question

I had 2 times of not catching my breath after climbing stairs and working on curtains.I went downstairs and fell asleep.This was Sunday afternoon and on Monday I slept most of the day. My heart sounded different. On Tuesday the side of ny face by my eye felt funny
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 1 year ago.

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms.

There are a couple of issues here which need to be addressed, i need to ask a couple of question so i can help you in abetter manner.

Do you have any headaches along with the funny feeling in your face and eye? Any chest pain or palpitations with teh shortness of breath? any previous medical conditions or medications?

I do believe i can help you regarding this matter but i can narrow down the diagnosis somewhat once i have the additional information

This is just an Information request, not an answer.

Since you seem to be offline ill leave an answer here which we can discuss later on.

The shortness of breath which you have mentioned seems to be a symptom of Heart Failure. this is a condition in which the heart is unable to pump out adeqaute amounts of blood in order to keep up with the demands of the body. This can cause the shortness of breath especially on exertion such as walking up stairs along with other symptoms like swelling of the feet, palpitations, shortness of breath at night and on lying down, chest pain among others. This can be easily diagnosed with the help of simple tests like an EKG, echoardiography and maybe even a stress test if needed. the treatment of the condition is with the help of special drugs like beta blockers, ACE inhibitors and even diuretics to decrease the amount of fluid in your body.

i would suggest that you contact your cardiologist in this regard who can run these tests and determine if this is the cause here. Other possibilities can include a lung pathology such as COPD which can be possible provided you have smoked at any pooint in your life. This can cause the lungs to be damaged which in turn can cause increased shortness of breath on exertion. COPD by itself can also lead to cardiac failure.

the funny feeling in the face and the eye can be due to a number of conditions, it can be due to the heart failure itself which can decreased blood supply to the brain leading to symptoms like lightheadedness, dizziness etc. This can also be due to a heart arrhythmia which is a condition inw hich the heart beats irregularly and can cause these feelings. Arrhythmias commonly accompany heart failure.

I hope I have been helpful and this answers your query. Please remember to assign a feedback rating so JA will compensate me for my time. You are free to ask follow-up questions thereafter at no charge although any bonuses would be appreciated. Please allow up to 24 hours for a follow-up response if I am signed off.

If, for some reason, you are not satisfied with the answer, I would appreciate knowing why so that I can try to clear up any misunderstanding that may have taken place and still earn a positive rating from you. Finally, you may request me in the future by beginning the question with "THIS IS FOR Dr. Muneeb Ali".

Thank you for using Just Answer.

Do you have anymore questions? If you are done for now, please leave a POSITIVE feedback rating as until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow up questions even after the rating.