Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

Last Thursday I started having itching eyes and red eyes. I

Customer Question

Last Thursday I started having itching eyes and red eyes. I thought it was bacterial Conjunctivitis, Sunday I couldn't take it anymore and went to the ER to which the doctor told me it was allergen Conjunctivitis. They did this test on which they were
looking for cuts in my eyes. He prescribed me this allergy eye drop and some Loratine. Is now Tuesday and I still have red eyes and they feel dry. When I put the allergy eye drops it helps with the redness but then 3-5 hrs later it's red again. Is this something
that will go away on its own? What else can I do? Do I need to go back to the ER. Is this normal that they still red? Can it be something else .?
Category: Eye
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  eyesight2020 replied 1 year ago.

Hello

Do you know the name of the drops they gave you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
naphazoline hcl pheniramine maleate Are the active ingredients in the eye drops.

It is not uncommon for the redness to go away and return using that drop.

Apparently that treatment is not working for you.

you probably would beneft from a steroid drop treatment ,such as alrex,

to start with to calm things down and then to be switched over to

a prescription allergy drop such as patanol if needed.

The best thing would be to try to have the ER refer you to an eye doctor

thet could better evaluate your situation and confirm that it truly I an allergic conjunctivitis.

If as long as it is just itchiness that you have been having then it is an allergic conjunctivitis

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the last couple of days I haven't had any itching they just tend to hurt they feel alittle dry. I will go tmwr to an optometrist and hopefully he can confirm it. Is it normal for allergic conjuctivities to last this long ?

Well that is just thing,it depends how severe the conjunctivitis was to star wih.

But thatbeing said if the itchiness has gone away there is acouple of things gong on.

for sure with thid=s drop you will get rebound redness meaning that the redness goes away but returns once the drop wears off. dditionally this drp can cause dryness of youreyes.

So now the question is , is the redness you have now related to allergies or the effects of the drops

So stopping the drop and use artificial tears till you can see the eye doctor would be a good idea in which case the eye doctor may tell to keep using the tears or may star you on a steroid as I mentioned before

I hope this answers your questions.f so please feel free to rate the responses otherwise feel free to ask more questions

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much. I appreciate your help.

your welcome

goodnight