Dr.Nasim
Dr.Nasim, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,FCPS
28821206

Just curious, my daughter said her left eye was burning last

Customer Question

Just curious, my daughter said her left eye was burning last night, it began to tear and run down her face, she wiped the tears with the back of her hand, where the tears touched her hand, her hand began to burn and a small bright red blotch (maybe slightly elevated)appeared on hand, in 20 minutes the brightness and burning sensation diminished, now only a small light remnant of rash left. what on earth is that,? what would burn eye and make tears cause her hand to burn?
Category: Eye
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

Hello

No

That would not be the case.

She needs an exam .

positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.

Expert:  Dr.Nasim replied 1 year ago.

Hello dear. Welcome to justanswer.com

I am an infectious diseases fellow and a physician also.

There are many viral organisms which can cause acute conjunctivitis with burning and watering of eyes.There are very few viruses which can involve skin elsewhere also. Theses is a group of viruses called herpes virus

which can cause burning in skin but usually there are vesicular lesions inside the lid, may be around the eye and elsewhere also. Other viruses which can cause acute viral conjunctivitis include adeno virus, coxsakie virus, small pox virus, vaccinia virus, rubella, rubeola,influenza,epstein Barr virus, papillomavirus,molluscum contagiosum and newcastle disease.

I suggest you get an eye examination done in her case even if it was a voidiral infection, viral infections usually resolve themselves without treatment. In case of herpes virus infection , the role of steroids and anti-virals is limited.

Please feel free for any queries. Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not the answer I am seeking, let me clarify.
She was sitting on couch and randomly, her right eye started burning for 5 minutes only, started watering, she wiped the tear with back of hand, and within seconds the area of hand she used to wipe began burning and a few seconds later small red rash appeared. rash lasted for 20minutes and faded til it was almost gone. barely can see it now. I have never heard of any virus doing this. Please explain what it could be. There is no discharge in her eyes, was normal after 5 minutes. Please try again. thank you.
Expert:  Dr.Nasim replied 1 year ago.

Hello

There is a long list of viruses which can cause very mild, brief self limiting illness to a very sever form.

If everthing is settled now, there is nothing to worry about, sometimes you never find an answer for everything especially if it has vanished. Otherwise we could have gone for PCR tests for viruses or skin biopsy.

There is no one who can reply to this illness which is now no more there, there can be just assumptions.

If you are not satisfied with the answer, I will opt out. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I understand that you do not have the answer. My reason was not how to cure her, but an idea of what could have caused such unusual symptoms. It does not make any sense to me, I just wanted an educated guess of what it could have been, that would cause minor burning , tearing of eye, and would burn the hand while wiping away tears, leaving a reddish rash, for the most part that is faded away. I have not heard anything like this before nor seen anything like this. So saying there are many viruses or anything saying see a doctor is of no use to me sadly. I am a registered nurse and was just looking to see if you ever personally saw anything like this before or heard of this before, so I guess you have not. thanks for the response. Yes, I guess you should opt out as I have no new answers. thanks and bye.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

Hello

This is the original expert.

I would not rely on the idea that this is viral.

And you are not the one that should be trying to treat this.

Eyes are serious.

Infection can be at any level, from harmless to eye threatening.

There is no known condition that would make the eye and the hand burn except

perhaps chemical exposure.

I would deal with this right away.

ER if needed.

Expert:  Dr.Nasim replied 1 year ago.

Dear

As there is no H/O exposure to chemical, it is just an assumption.

Secondly the eye burning and rash both have gone very quickly, this also does not support this wild guess!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The sx were gone, long before either of you answered. No obvious chemical exposure. At least nothing that they have not used before. Earlier they did spray a fixative over some artwork. They did this outside and then brought it in. They have done this before. The burning incident was hours later and probably not due to this. No known chemical exposure. I think she had this once before minus the skin burning or rash but eye burning a tearing up for a very short span of time. It just seems weird that when it occurred and she wiped the tears, that within seconds, her hand started burning in just that area and red rash broke out. This too was almost gone in 20minutes. I really just wanted to know what would cause such a strange phenomenon.. I would like to know in case it happens again. Does anyone have any other ideas? Otherwise I will probably cancel this question. thanks