Dr. Longo
Dr. Longo, Optometrist
Experience:  Residency in Ocular Disease, Managed Ocular ER
89512414

I have been suffering from feeling like something is in my

Customer Question

I have been suffering from feeling like something is in my left eye/left corner for years now. It gets blood shot in that area, sometimes more than others and feels bruised. I went to my GP about a year ago, thought it was dry eye, but just one eye? I went to an eye dr., who didn't see anything in the eye. The dry eye meds didn't work, I don't feel like it's dry eye because it's only the one side, same area all the time and only one eye. Very sensitive to light. I woke up this morning and it is very red and feels really bruised today.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Longo replied 1 year ago.

Hello!

Left eye toward the nose corner or the outside corner?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Outside corner
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My mother and grandmother and all aunts on that side of my family have glaucoma. They do not have the normal issue that helps determine this, eye pressure levels. Their pressures run as though they are normal but the pressure would be high for them. Not saying it's that, just thought I'd share. CathyMy vision on that left/bottom corner is sometimes blurred, like a film is on that section.
Expert:  Dr. Longo replied 1 year ago.

It's sounds like blepharitis. Blepharitis is a low level lid infection that can wax and wane. Our skin is full of bacteria and they love warm moist areas. There is also a bacterium that specifically loves the outer corners of the eyelids and causes blepharitis there. Symptoms can range from soreness/itchy/crusty etc. treatment usually involves a typical steroid / antibiotic ointment (like prescription maxitrol) to calm the area down and then long term mild antibiotic ointment ( like prescription erythromycin) for bedtime to reduce flare ups. Also when you wash your face be sure to wash the eyelids too with baby shampoo or lid scrubs. Then ointments can be applied. I would obtain these prescriptions at your next eye Doctor appointment and you should feel improvement in your symptoms.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is this something that I could've been suffering from for a couple years? Hard to believe all the Drs just said dry eye when I know it's not that.
Expert:  Dr. Longo replied 1 year ago.

It is usually chronic, yes. Some days it's not as bad as others. Sometimes I have patients that explain the symptoms and I can't visualize it at that moment. It will wax and wane. =). Some docs don't feel comfortable prescribing when they don't see it at that exact moment but I diagnose on symptoms as well. =)

Expert:  Dr. Longo replied 1 year ago.

Any other questions I can help you with regarding your angular blepharitis? =)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** questions at this time, I will take care of payment and let you know if I have any other questions after I go to the doctor =)
Expert:  Dr. Longo replied 1 year ago.

No problem! You're very welcome! =)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's not the eyelid that is red, it's the actual eyeball
Expert:  Dr. Longo replied 1 year ago.

Does it extend toward your cornea/iris at all?

I would still initiate the same treatment.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it does extend tiowards iris
Expert:  Dr. Longo replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a bump on the white part next to the Iris too in that area? If so, it can be an inflamed pinguecula or pterygium (would need to see it to discern) that flares up now and again when dry and can extend outward laterally. Or if no bump, then episcleritis which is transient sectoral redness that can have no cause or due to an underlying inflammatory condition.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No bump on the white part, went to the clinic yesterday. Put dye in my eye, no scratches, she didn't think it was Blepharitis but put me on ofloxacin until I can see a specialist.
Expert:  Dr. Longo replied 1 year ago.

Glad you're getting seen. Hope all gets resolved.