Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

My 5 year old complained 2 days ago of seeing and purple

Customer Question

Hi, My 5 year old complained 2 days ago of seeing green and purple dots. Yesterday said her dots turned into lines. She has not complained of any eye pain or headache.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the question.

Colored dots or lines are unlikely to be indicative of any serious eye problem and the child is likely to complain about these for the sake of seeking your attention. The only concern would be any associated blurring of vision. A rough guide to check the child's vision is by making her to sit on your lap while watching television and cover her eye one at a time. If the response is equal in both the eyes ( child may not let you cover either of her eye and may try to pull your hand away) then child has equal vision in both eyes. However if the child let you cover one eye but resists closure of the other then the first eye is likely to have poor vision. This test is a gross test which helps us to know whether or not the child needs any further eye exam by an ophthalmologist.

As of now it looks like your daughter is fine and can be observed. A little bit more attention towards her might do good and she might stop complaining about the dots and lines.

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dear Dr. A.S. Desai
Where as I do appreciate you promptly answering my question, I do feel that your answer is somewhat based upon your assumption that my daughter is seeking attention from both me and my husband. I believe that given your professional background and knowledge of the human eye, your answer would be based more toward that direction rather than that of a child psychologist. In the future I would appreciate an questions answered by you through this site be purely based upon your field of expertise so that I am not led to believe that my hard earned dollars paid to this site was not wasted,

Thank you for the reply.

It looks like you are not quite happy the way I have put forth the answer and I understand your point of view. In that I would delete the part regarding attention seeking but can assure you that there is no eye disease in which a child sees green and purple dots which later turn into lines. This information is purely based on my knowledge of ophthalmology. So the next question which arises is- if not an ocular (eye) cause for this symptom , what else could be causing it? Now you do not want me to answer any further as it would be outside ophthalmology. I hope you do understand my point of view now.

As mother of two daughters, younger one being 9 years old, I can assure you that this symptom has nothing to do with her eyes. My younger daughter has complained of similar symptoms many times in the past just like many children of her age and I have always put it down to the fantasizing nature of children.

I have tried to give you a truthful answer to the best of my knowledge and apologise if I may have hurt your sentiments somewhere.

Thank you and best wishes