Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

I have severe chronic dry eyes. The eye drops dont help

Customer Question

I have severe chronic dry eyes. The eye drops dont help much. I read about something you put in the corner of yours eyes. But I do not know what they are called. The article said you put them in every day. How much would they cost without insurance. I heard flaxseedoil,blackcurrentoi,fishoi;' will help moisture the eyes. Is that true.I need something that will give me moisture and relief fast. cant stand the gritty dry feeling and my eyes hurt. what else can i do
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.

Dear customer,

Thanks for your question.

I think you are referring to Eye inserts. Once a daythe hydroxypropyl cellulose (Lacrisert) insert is placed between the lower eyelid and the eyeball. The insert will then dissolve slowly, releasing a substance that's used in eyedrops to lubricate your eye.

For the cost see the below link:

http://www.drugs.com/price-guide/lacrisert

Regarding the eye supplements we cannot say whether they are beneficial or not since there are no standard studies that have been done to prove that they are beneficial. Hence you may try them and see if they are beneficial or not.

You should consult your doctor regarding lacrisert since many studies have shown that they may be beneficial for the dry eyes.

Take care.

Please rate the answer with a five star excellent positive rating.

Thanks.

Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.

Dear customer,

Please don't forget to rate the answer with five stars. If you any more questions please ask.

Thanks.