Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
24257177

I recently had cataract surgery left eye. I am disappointed

Customer Question

I recently had cataract surgery for my left eye. I am disappointed with the lens correction as I was told the lens would correct for distance vision, but instead it corrects well for a range between 12 inches and 2-3 feet. When I expressed disappointment I was told it was because my vision prior to surgery was so bad: 20/600. I asked for a premium lens but was told I didn't need it. Should I try to have this redone?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 1 year ago.

Hello

I do indeed think that you need to go to another surgeon for an opinion.

On the other hand, this was severe near sightedness. But, in many cases, this can be corrected.

There are pitfuls to the surgery if not given special attention.

Here is a good write up on this.

http://www.healio.com/ophthalmology/cataract-surgery/news/print/ocular-surgery-news/%7B3a397432-d9a8-48c8-9c8b-3ddee38c43b4%7D/cataract-surgery-in-myopic-eyes-requires-extra-attention

OK, so that is an initial answer….

Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is a simple response and not from an ophthalmology specialist. I'm sure Dr. Thomas is well informed, but I was looking for a more in-depth response.

Hi

This was, and still is also in the eye category.

It simply has not been answered.

In fact without an exam, I don't think we can tell you why the surgeon is saying this.

If you read the write up I gave you, you will see that there are several precautions and problems that need to be addressed with severe near sightedness in plastic surgery.

I would ask the current surgeon about these, and I would get a second opinion, hands on, with exam.

If the experts in the eye category want to jump in here, they will I am sure.

OK, so that is an initial answer….